Sly 2
Hi all! I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how to speed up Sly 2. I've experimented with turning on and off speedhacks, but while that did increase the speed it lowered the quality of the graphics (colors changed sporadically, cut scenes smeared on occasion, and any time the characters spoke it was very slow and somewhat hilarious).

Has anyone else tried playing Sly 2 on pcsx2?

Sponsored links

No, I haven't. But I could guess what you need to speed up the game...

What are your PC specs?
Forgive me if I don't give you all the info you need in this post, but here's what I found:

Intel Core i5 CPU, M 430 2.27GHz
4.00 GB RAM
64 bit Windows 7
NVIDIA Geforce GTS 360M [1GB] Graphics Card
What a nice laptop you got there. Smile

Unfortunately, the CPU is just on the slow side for PCSX2 in general (low Ghz). This game may just be out of it's reach, since Speedhacks are mostly what helps there. Sad

Maybe try and see if you can pin-point which Speedhack is causing that issue...
Why thank you! It's also an Asus, like yours :] (If the one in your sig is yours, hah)
Yeah, that makes sense. And the pcsx2 version I'm using is .9.8, and speedhacks I have on when it glitches occur are the EE Cyclerate and VU Cycle Stealing.
All the time however, I keep on INTC Spin Detection, Wait Loop Detection, mVU Flag Hack, and mVU Block Hack. It's only when I turn up the Cycle stuff that it increases and gets glitchier.
Don't set the "VU cycle stealing" speedhack to the max, that's what's causing the glitches.

As an alternative, you can also edit the framerate in the inis\PCSX2_vm.ini file, setting the FramerateNTSC=59.94 or FrameratePAL=50.0 lines to half (29.97/25) for example, which can make a big speedup (since you only need half FPS for full speed then), but that setting can cause other problems like audio out of sync when the movies run and will break other games so better use it only for that game.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Thank you thank you thank you!!
The game is MUCH more playable now!
I split the Framerate into halves like you suggested, turned off the VU Cycle Stealing, and then halved the Framerate again, and that made it even better. The audio was fairly steady during the in-game cutscenes, and I haven't seen a single glitch graphics or colors-wise. I imagine this is as good as it can get on this computer, with this version of pcsx2, at this time, so I am truly grateful! :] You have no idea how awesome this is haha. I've been wanting to play this game for ages. Thanks again!
No problem, would be nice to know if the game is fully playable like that, last time I tried that was just for fast forwarding some scenes Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Haha well it's not fully playable, but it does make it a whole lot better. The game part of it is still pretty slow in terms of jumping and hitting, but it's not so slow that it's not fun x)