Sly 3 Interlacing and MSAA Problems [PAL]
Hi,

So I created an ISO of my Sly 3 game for the PS2 in order to play it on the PC. I configured the settings with OGL Hardware, set MSAA to 8x, Sprite to Half and Round Sprite to Full. Game was running fine, until I noticed HUGE slowdowns. After messing with the settings I found it was cause by MSAA. Even on the lowest of them all 2x it would lag.

EE and GS percentages were fine but with HW Monitor I was able to see my GPU was being maxed out. It was easy to test since it happened during the inital cutscene/starting menu.. you know when he's standing on the island and the camera is showing the fort(it happens when the camera goes down and looks up).

To be honest this wasn't really a problem, I disabled MSAA completly since from what I tested it caused no improvement in the quality. I know MSAA requires a lot of memory but what in-game may cause this? 

You can see it action here: https://youtu.be/29izNXEywiY?t=2m11s
Right when the camera goes down the GPU load goes up to 99% right there he presses start.

Now the other problem.. Interlacing

Bob ttf is just amazing, the image is not shaking and it's sharp!
But..
[Image: 2aHGagc.png]

As you can see behind the white eye it's "ghosted", same thing happening behind the black line.
It's always shaking and during gameplay it's unoticable, I only noticed when taking screenshots to send to some friends.
Also the cutscenes, NOT THE IN-GAME ones, like the "Sony Comptuer Entertainment" at the start shakes A LOT. After testing the best interlacing mode was weave ttf, sadly it doesn't solve the issue completly(cutscenes shake just a tiny bit) and the game looks blurry.

Why does this happen? And is there any interlacing mode that is as sharp as bob ttf and could possible fix this? Or the current fix is to let change interlacing modes during gameplay?

Btw I'd also like to contribute a little to the wiki!

Here's the settings
[Image: T4b8ptM.png]

Resolution: On my 24'' Full HD monitor 4x looks the best. 3x is not quite as good. Anything above isn't worth it.
HW Hacks: Alpha is set in order to fix the health bug as you can see here(https://youtu.be/29izNXEywiY?t=3m26s)
Round Sprite: Rounds the text, looks wayyy  better
Sprite: Things look a little sharper

Also as this guy here https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Sly-coop...ng-objects I had the same problem. The fix is the one on the wiki!
On the VU options set to Extra and to Nearest. It's recommended to reboot the game.

P.S Something I didn't mention is that I switched to the latest nightly build. pcsx2-v1.5.0-dev-2255-g43d0bd99c-windows-x86
and my pc specs are

Ryzen 3 1200 O.C to 3.6GHz
GTX 1050 Ti
Ram GSkill 8Gb 3000MHz(atm is clocked at 2133, can't set it to higher clock, pc won't boot)

Sponsored links

The only interlacing that autmatically changes is the auto setting, but sadly it just isn't ideal for all games. So you'll need to compromise and accept these issues, switch to auto and have less sharp graphics, or download the PCSX2 sourcecode and work on improving the Interlacing code. Wink
(01-18-2018, 10:30 PM)FlatOut Wrote: or download the PCSX2 sourcecode and work on improving the Interlacing code. Wink

I'd love to! I've some experience in terms of RE and programming sadly graphics is one thing that I never really delved into. In the future i'll most likely give it a try Laugh
The Sly games, particularly Sly 3, are among the most resource demanding titles for PS2, and by extension PCSX2. The slowdowns you're experiencing are likely just a part of that problem, and other than tuning down settings to a point that they go away, not sure what else there is to offer.

For the bleeding effect, have you tried Half Pixel Offset? I think that helps with ghosting effects in some games, might be worth a shot here.
(01-19-2018, 01:01 AM)pandubz Wrote: The Sly games, particularly Sly 3, are among the most resource demanding titles for PS2, and by extension PCSX2. The slowdowns you're experiencing are likely just a part of that problem, and other than tuning down settings to a point that they go away, not sure what else there is to offer.

For the bleeding effect, have you tried Half Pixel Offset? I think that helps with ghosting effects in some games, might be worth a shot here.

Enabled VU1 Multi-threaded, V-Sync and changed GS to SSE4 and now it runs flawlessly!

Half Pixel Offset didn't fix it Sad Thanks for the suggestion though!