Snowblind Engine (Champions & Dark Alliance)
Hello.

I recently build myself my first desktop PC after 3 years of using a laptop due to lifestyle reasons. I was able to pick my parts in a discount sale at a local PC shop. Still not a high end rig, but still a huge jump for someone who previously used a laptop as his main PC.

I have a decent collection of retro games from the NES era all the way to the PS2/NGC. My "gaming" laptop was already capable pf emulating the PS2 and the NGC and play even some of the most demanding titles such as shadow of the colossus and the legend of zelda twilight princess at reasonably high resolutions (between 1440 - 1080p depending on the game) at max speed.

The only games that i couldn't get to run at full speed were snowblind studios games like dark alliance or champions of norrath. My all time favorites.

Before i try to explain my issues with these games, here are the specs of my current main PC.

CPU - Intel Core i7 6700 3.40 GHz

RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel

GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Maybe i still need more computing power...?

However. The good news are...i can play champions return to arms and dark alliance II at full speed without FPS drops.

The bad news.....i still drop frames on champions of norrath and dark alliance whenever i encounter fire, like candles or torches. Pretty much all the time which makes these games unplayable. I don't have these issues when i play return to arms and dark alliance II. For whatever reason.

I read that the 4GB patch might help. I did that, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Trying to run it with the least demanding settings doesn't help either. It almost seems to be an emulation problem rather than my hardware still being too weak. And playing PS2 games in software mode on a modern monitor is like starring at a moving picture of liquid dog poop.

I don't have any hopes of resolving these issues. But i would like to know what exactly the reasons for these problems might be. Out of interest. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can give me an explanation.

These are the only PS2 games i really want to emulate since they will never get a re-release of any kind.

But what can someone without any experience in programming do in order to help improving this emulator....?

Sorry for the long post. I really tried to shorten it.

Sponsored links

Check fast texture invalidation hack
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(10-27-2019, 03:38 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Check fast texture invalidation hack

I had to get a dev build for this. And it somehow solved the issue.

I am shocked. Only champions of norraths  title menu somehow stays at 70% speed. But both champions of norrath and dark alliance maintain 100% speed so far. I will search every nook and cranny in these games just to see if it maintains 100% speed. Its been 15 long years.

But why? What did the hack do in simple terms? And why did the issue occur in only 2 out of 4 games who share the same engine...?