So close... DX10 a Major improvment?
Hey folks, new to the forums here... This isn't a WILL IT RUN question just to be clear. I am currently on 32bit XP Prof. and was wondering if upgrading to Win7 64bit would give me some extra "oomph" ... heres the specs....
Winxp32 bit
AMD Athlon x64 3500+
(overclocked to 2670mhz...not bad for air cooling)

1gig DDR1 Pc3200 ( dual channel)
(overclocked to 240mhz Dram Fquency for effective 480Mhz x2 for dual channel [x64bit])

Geforce 7900gs
(Pixel shader 3 supported)(OCd clock of 570mhz and Memory clock of 760mhz) (256meg mem)

So yeah. right now im running FFXII with a nice smooth 60fps in video but a not so smooth 25-30fps in-game... I'm wondering... Is DX10 possibly going to give me that extra pump to get up into a more playable speed?

Sponsored links

with only 1gb of ram you can forget windows 7 and specially x64. you can run the 32bit version but you will not have any room for applications.
also x64bit windows will not give any performance to the emulator. the d3d10 can give some speed in some games and is more compatible(less bugs) BUT the 7xxx generation doesnt have directX support...
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
Post your settings so people will be able to help you. But I think DX 10 is always better, if your card supports clear.
[Image: 41639000.jpg]
(08-30-2010, 06:00 AM)johnsaints Wrote: Post your settings so people will be able to help you. But I think DX 10 is always better, if your card supports clear.

Version = Newest beta 0.9.7.3113
EE/IOP Settings = All Default
VUs Settings = All Default
Frame Limited Disabled ( is this bad? )
Frame Skipping = Default disabled

Speed hacks! ( see below thumbnail)
Game Fixes = EE timing hack

Graphic plugin = GSDx9 0.1.16
No interlacing
D3D res = 640x480
x1 scaling
Texture Filtering On
Logarithmic Z On

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

try using supervu it maybe its faster, putting clamps to none, and MAYBE using native ps2 resolution.
also use the august plagins pack for 0.9.7 beta
last be sure you have updated your gpu drivers to the latest, they seem to be faster for pcsx2
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
(08-30-2010, 06:13 AM)iakoboss7 Wrote: try using supervu it maybe its faster, putting clamps to none, and MAYBE using native ps2 resolution.
also use the august plagins pack for 0.9.7 beta
last be sure you have updated your gpu drivers to the latest, they seem to be faster for pcsx2

thank you very much for the help! I'll give it a go and post the results.

(edit) very slight change... the native resolution gave me an average of 4 more fps... still not getting over 30... I'm not sure the recompiler and clamps did anything.
Uh you're pushing the limit of your system, everything is inadequate for pcsx2...
Right, you won't get this game to run any faster.
Single core CPU and DX9 generation graphics simply won't do Tongue2
(08-30-2010, 09:56 AM)rama Wrote: Right, you won't get this game to run any faster.
Single core CPU and DX9 generation graphics simply won't do Tongue2

I'm aware... which is why.. the question at the very beginning is "would DX10 give it an extra bump?" Laugh

-edit -And for some odd reason teh very first response Didn't show up till last?! weird... or i'm blind... possibly both... No matter. I thought I'd ask, I'm havinga complete rebuild in about a month with an i7 chip so this was really just to see if i could do it. Thanks all for the help though... was so close Smile
Simply getting win vista/7 wont enable you to run in dx10 mode, you gpu also needs to support it. Yours doesnt. And even if it did dx10 would not give you the bump you are looking for. You really need a more powerful cpu for FFXII.
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb