So, how close are we to 1.0?
People using the latest SVN versions wouldn't see much difference, that is correct.
Releases are kind of like baselines though, they make sure that everyone downloading
PCSX2 uses the latest (and tested) code.

Sponsored links

(07-10-2012, 08:17 AM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: Well I wanted to make a different question/pointout about the same case though.
Let's say that 1.0 gets released. Compared to the last 0.9 SVN/Nighty build what would be the difference that would worthly make it a stable/main release?
I'm so satisfied by the SVN repository submittions that an actual release wouldn't make me feel any change or give me any hype since I doubt anything super-drastic or crazy would be added compared to the last SVN of the previous version and all that because PCSX2 team are super-awesome, they constantly work and all that for the public.
Are there features that they don't get implemeted on SVN/Nightly builds till they get polished for a major release? I don't know how this works and I'm not sure it was ever cleared up.

This is honestly a very good question.
I guess it wouldn't make sense to include an untested surprise in the release build, but the boy in me can hope Smile
So, I suppose I can assume that since 4 cores are now used, my i7-2600k @ 5.0Ghz will have no problem running ANY game, as in, performance-wise PCSX2 is "done"?

If so, when do you guys think that, let's say.. the top 100 PS2 games (according to whomever's favorite list) will be completely playable?

For instance, I get garbage textures while trying to play Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal, even though I consider it to be one the best games on the PS2..

I guess what I'm trying to ask as a whole is - What do the developers want to accomplish as part of the 1.0 release.. as in, when will they look at the code and be like "Yeah, this is 1.0 worthy."? Because it has to happen eventually.
some(many) gsdx display issues will not be resolvable till certain rewrites are performed
(07-10-2012, 03:32 PM)Trackr Wrote: I guess what I'm trying to ask as a whole is - What do the developers want to accomplish as part of the 1.0 release.. as in, when will they look at the code and be like "Yeah, this is 1.0 worthy."? Because it has to happen eventually.
Exactly. Major releases need to happen when the developers have set all or atleast most of the goals they have set. Just doing random stuff here and there (some pretty useful and some less) is where SVN releases belong. So, is there a proper goal-list? Otherwise there's zero reason for a release, SVNs are more than satisfying for that. Most of PCSX2's SVNs could seriously be proper releases imo. So a proper major release must not look like or be in the theme of an SVN or a minor bugfix release, we already have that, it's called a Nightly build (SVN).
As rama said before, current SVN builds are probably quite close to what would be released as 1.0.
(07-10-2012, 03:36 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: some(many) gsdx display issues will not be resolvable till certain rewrites are performed
I think it pretty reached that point and many people here will agree I guess... :/ It's like it reached at it's maximum of what can be done at it's current state which is a very good and kiiinda bad thing at the same time.
The only thing that sounds bad or better a very bad idea to me is to make a could-be-SVN-build an actual major release. It's just the completely opposite idea of how and for what reason major releases happen on projects around the globe.
I think everybody from us could live with those awesome SVNs so "renaming" an SVN to major release is, just, a bad bad bad idea! XD

EDIT:
I have an idea to suggest, because I feel it's super-unimportant to make a major release without something that makes sense why it was worth that move.
What about slightly re-inventing the way versions get released with each digit representing the "importancy" level?
So:
First Digit - Major release version
Second Digit - Additional features subversion (can be over 0-9 digits)
Third Digit - Additional minor features subversion (can be over 0-9 digits)
Revision Digit - (easy to understand)

So it could look like:
0.9.10 or maybe 0.10.0 instead of 1.0
We have a good versioning system in place that reflects how we actually work on PCSX2.
The way we progress is pretty linear, not parallel, so we wouldn't even know what would
denote a minor from a normal importance.
Also no one wants to release more often than we do now, you can't imagine what a chore it is each time Tongue2

Oh and regarding the tone of "Oh noe, 1.0 will be like the current SVN ><", that is pretty much
how it works best: You pick an SVN that's release worthy, branch it and let testers verify it works.
Only add important fixes to it and release after a while when all is ready.
It doesn't mean progress is halted at all, we have so much to do yet.
@Rama , Do you still intend on tackling the post processing issues. And when might we see software scaling? Smile now that would be cool
Msi GF-62VR
Intel  core i7 7700hq @2.8(3.5ghz turbo) Nvidia 6gig GTX1060 16 gigs DDr5   windows 10
*base 64 images don't work here - ref*