So i heard GSdx doesn't like ATI?
Question 
source of the quotes: http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-6120.html

(05-11-2009, 02:31 AM)rama Wrote: Amd/Ati is currently a bad choice for pcsx2/GSdx. It doesn't matter how much "power" the vga card has compared to the ps2's gs.
All that matters right now is that some operations GSdx does are very slow on ATI hardware.
Same for the cpu really. It has 2 cores, kinda nice clockspeed and all. Still it's lacking in SSE performance, and that makes it perform very bad in pcsx2.

(05-11-2009, 04:17 PM)Bositman Wrote: It means that some code path GSdx uses is fast on nvidia cards and slow on ati cards,so most probably a driver issue from the part of Ati. So I guess you could call it a defect preventing the ati cards to use their true potential since they perform way worse than their nvidia counterparts with relatively same specs.

i would really like to hear more about this issue. e.g. what are the code parts responsible for which are slower on ati cards? does it apply to dx9 or dx10 performance or both? does it mean that the emulation speed is generally lower with an ati card or are just scenes or games with e.g. more complex effects affected? and is the exact reason for it known, so that i may send ati an email to request a fix or better driver support?

tia Smile

p.s.: my games run fine on my rig, ffx is almost fullspeed even @ 3840x2160 without any speedhacks, i'm just curious.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403

Sponsored links

the best result do it some experience with both card but as far as i had ATI GPU HD.3870, i dont have a single issue like weird performance or bad picture, crash or hang etc. I dont like someone without have any experience or give some clear data with evidence then talk with big mouth like bad propaganda/black campaign. Do you know what different about pure knowledge, pure programmer in other side and fanboisme and fake programmer in other side?. "Curious, independent, solving, evidence".
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
In general computing, I'd take an ATI over an Nvidia as they offer better price/performance.
However, for the record, in PCSX2 Nvidia's better, ironic considering the PS2 has an ATI GPU.

My games all play well.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
(05-11-2009, 07:08 PM)Register Wrote: the best result do it some experience with both card but as far as i had ATI GPU HD.3870, i dont have a single issue like weird performance or bad picture, crash or hang etc. I dont like someone without have any experience or give some clear data with evidence then talk with big mouth like bad propaganda/black campaign. Do you know what different about pure knowledge, pure programmer in other side and fanboisme and fake programmer in other side?. "Curious, independent, solving, evidence".

We've been over this about 5 times already and you don't seem to get it. We are NOT fanboys,we don't care if you like Ati or Nvidia,we don't care if you don't have the issue.
We are just stating a FACT that SOME ATI cards have this problem with GSdx. No one has gone and tested it extensively to find out what the exact problem is,some have also reported it got fixed with some new Catalyst driver but no one knows for sure...
So we WARN people about a POSSIBLE speed hit they might get with SOME ATI cards.
That said,have a warning for trolling,since I've even gone and explained this to you even via PM but you can't seem to get it though your thick skull.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
yeah, whatever you are saying mr. Bositman and thanks for your great warning.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
erm, sorry, the purpose of this thread was not to start an ati vs. nvidia fight or something like that. i just didn't want to continue this topic in the other thread, so i made a new one hoping that perhaps someone could explain this issue a bit further. nothing else.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
It's because Gabest doesn't have an ATI to test out his code. MAYBE if we could somehow donate him money, or an hd4xxx itself, maybe he could test the code with it.

I doubt an old x1600 AGP works, and well, I can't donate it anyways Tongue2
But I think I can donate money, just not much. Although the problem is not with every card. My hd4870 runs the same as with some of the latest nvidia cards (i think), so, dunno :/
(05-11-2009, 09:04 PM)stpdrgstr Wrote: It's because Gabest doesn't have an ATI to test out his code. MAYBE if we could somehow donate him money, or an hd4xxx itself, maybe he could test the code with it.

I doubt an old x1600 AGP works, and well, I can't donate it anyways Tongue2
But I think I can donate money, just not much. Although the problem is not with every card. My hd4870 runs the same as with some of the latest nvidia cards (i think), so, dunno :/

The 4870 was one of the best card's in the world.
As it stand's these are the best cards in order
GTX295
4870X2
4850X2
GTX285
GTX280
GTX275
GTX260 216 core
GTX 192 core
GTS250
9800GTX
9800GT
9600GT
I can confirm that on games which exploit the Gsdx/ATI "unfriendliness" the power of your ATI card matters not. My x1650gt gets nearly the same framerates as a 4770 on such titles. Keep in mind that these are specific games only and sometimes limited to specific scenes of specific games. It's entirely possible for someone to play more than a dozen games on Pcsx2 on their ATI and never run across a game that exhibits this problem, depending on which games that person plays -- and equally possible for that person to not realize that the one or two slow scenes in one of their games is in fact due to the Ati performance bottleneck.

(for instance, one of the traditionally slower parts of Pcsx2 in general is FMV playback, but you will never experience the Ati bottleneck on an fmv. It's almost exclusively limited to Isometric and/or non-3D scene generation, with a handful of exceptions for 3D scenes that are very texture-detail heavy).
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(05-11-2009, 10:03 PM)Air Wrote: I can confirm that on games which exploit the Gsdx/ATI "unfriendliness" the power of your ATI card matters not. My x1650gt gets nearly the same framerates as a 4770 on such titles. Keep in mind that these are specific games only and sometimes limited to specific scenes of specific games. It's entirely possible for someone to play more than a dozen games on Pcsx2 on their ATI and never run across a game that exhibits this problem, depending on which games that person plays -- and equally possible for that person to not realize that the one or two slow scenes in one of their games is in fact due to the Ati performance bottleneck.

(for instance, one of the traditionally slower parts of Pcsx2 in general is FMV playback, but you will never experience the Ati bottleneck on an fmv. It's almost exclusively limited to Isometric and/or non-3D scene generation, with a handful of exceptions for 3D scenes that are very texture-detail heavy).
When will ATI cards perform better? Or will they?