So will newer versions of pcsx2 be able to run games faster on slower systems?
Or is that not how things work? I've been thinking about how creating a program like this works, and have wondered if it's possible to make the program run faster on computers that can't handle the current version. So in the future, WILL pcsx2 run better on slower systems, or is it set in stone so to say that whatever speed you run your games at now, will be the speed that they run at 2 years from now?

Sponsored links

pcsx2 in it's core is already quite optimized and not in "active" development so... no. won't do. beside a couple fixes for games there isn't any chance to make it that much faster. maybe there's some chance to make use of graphics cards a lil more but if you run low you will run low. *shrugs*
Okay, so basically all that's being worked on at the moment are fixing graphical errors in some games? But, there are still some rather big problems that I personally have, with hardware rendering, I still have unacceptable slowdowns in a part of the game that should not be that slow. (no moving parts at all).
You have trouble with hardware rendering because your gpu is not really meant for gaming. Just because the emulator is mainly cpu driven doesn't mean that the gpu means nothing. Also, some games will be messed graphically up no matter what, therefore requiring software mode, in which the cpu pretty much does all the work.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

Indeed, the main goal today is improving accuracy (not the same thing than trying to patch particular games), the good news is the near future low end machines will be good enough to run it much better. There is not much sense to quit the current emulator to try and remake it from scratch to get a small general performance gain because when it becomes half the point the current is already at, the newer will not be that much necessary anymore.

An important point is PS2 is not a shabby machine and so it claims for a much stronger machine to ever try and emulate it.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Whats the specs of your (slower) system?
(06-20-2013, 05:26 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Indeed, the main goal today is improving accuracy (not the same thing than trying to patch particular games), the good news is the near future low end machines will be good enough to run it much better. There is not much sense to quit the current emulator to try and remake it from scratch to get a small general performance gain because when it becomes half the point the current is already at, the newer will not be that much necessary anymore.

An important point is PS2 is not a shabby machine and so it claims for a much stronger machine to ever try and emulate it.
True but i gotten a Pentium-D (Actually a duo Celeron) to run quite a few demanding games on a laptop
at 4 GB ram I didn't get a chance to fully use the PCSX2 to the fullest extent due to the fact that i wanted better specs personally and i was first introduced to it recently it was running ver. 0.9.8
(06-20-2013, 05:39 AM)ericks93Pcsx2 Wrote: True but i gotten a Pentium-D (Actually a duo Celeron) to run quite a few demanding games on a laptop
at 4 GB ram I didn't get a chance to fully use the PCSX2 to the fullest extent due to the fact that i wanted better specs personally and i was first introduced to it recently it was running ver. 0.9.8

Seriously, that CPU is way bellow the minimal requisite to hope getting full speed in almost any PS2 emulated game.

I'm not sure you meant got the machine running demanding PC games or demanding PS2 emulated games. PC games makes sense because most of them are more demanding on the GPU than the CPU.

Now, achieving playable speed on PS2 games with a Pentiun-D would mean so many speedhacks and weird setups that hardly could be called good enough experience.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Actually, I think his Nvidia GF GT 630M is quite decent to run the emulator at 2x-3x resolution.
x3...only if FFX. For a bunch of my games they won't run very well in native.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti