Software Mode upscaling
I can guess this had been asked before but I couldn't find anything about it, so I'll ask: Why there is no upscaling / custom resolution in software mode? I want to do it in okami for example (Apparently My CPU can reach 100& speed in this game even with 50% EE Overclock in the OC Branch, So I have a lost of CPU headroom in the game). Is it becuase it will be too demanding, or it will be just impossible?

Sponsored links

(08-14-2015, 06:16 PM)Assassin47 Wrote: I can guess this had been asked before but I couldn't find anything about it, so I'll ask: Why there is no upscaling / custom resolution in software mode? I want to do it in okami for example (Apparently My CPU can reach 100& speed in this game even with 50% EE Overclock in the OC Branch, So I have a lost of CPU headroom in the game). Is it becuase it will be too demanding, or it will be just impossible?

That would make it less accurate first of all, and it would be way too demanding for most computers.
Is there anyway we can use the cpu to do the rendering in software mode and utilize the gpu only to upscale?
(08-14-2015, 06:48 PM)Dr_Hycodan Wrote: Is there anyway we can use the cpu to do the rendering in software mode and utilize the gpu only to upscale?

Lol.
Of course no. 
This kind of "hybrid mode" has been asked many times...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
software mode is used for GS precise emulation where some functions of the GS are not compatible for the GPU. Software renderer is only for accuracy purposes, features like upscaling will surely destroy the intent itself.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
The problem is that naive upscaling itsself creates bugs. (As in hw mode). And even then it is most of the time more demanding if you make the upscaling on the CPU. Still I think this idea is still reasonable.

In the future we will get stronger multicore cpus. Multi threading abilities of the sw renderer should enable the possibility to get reasonable speed using upscaling in sw mode. Most of the features Gregory currently implements are probably not needed using a cpu. He acceleration for sure has drawbacks.

If I would need to guess I would say in 3 years we will all run pcsx2 in sw mode using upscaling.
I would seriously hope the hardware renderer would be on par with software by that time
(08-14-2015, 09:35 PM)willkuer Wrote: The problem is that naive upscaling itsself creates bugs. (As in hw mode). And even then it is most of the time more demanding if you make the upscaling on the CPU. Still I think this idea is still reasonable.

In the future we will get stronger multicore cpus. Multi threading abilities of the sw renderer should enable the possibility to get reasonable speed using upscaling in sw mode. Most of the features Gregory currently implements are probably not needed using a cpu. Hw acceleration for sure has drawbacks.

If I would need to guess I would say in 3 years we will all run pcsx2 in sw mode using upscaling.

Hw acceleration has drawbacks but also many benefits. Especially for those with an NVidia gfx card. In many cases it can impressively upscale the resolution when you upscale to 3X or 4X. SW rendering was made for the purpose of running games as a last resort if the game is not running correctly graphically in DX11 or something. It's really just there as a backup for using your graphics card. Running on software rendering generates a lot of heat since your hard drive is doing the work that your graphics card was made to do. Admittedly, some games run okay on SW rendering, but unlike HW rendering they cannot be upscaled. So the front end and overalys are clear, but the graphics are pixely.

Many users run games on SW mode not knowing the game can be run on HW mode. It really depends on the game, and your graphics card but I am not sure if it should be a priority to run a game upscaled in SW mode. It's using a lot of of your core processing power by running a game not on your graphics card and it doesn't come close to the performance and quality of running the game on your gfx card in DX11 HW mode. To see the full benefits of PCSX2 you should have an NVidia card or a gfx card capable of running the game properly in DX11, or for those that can get OpenGL to work. To make SW rendering feature upscaling kind of defeats the purpose of what a graphics card is.

The issues in DX11 hardware mode on a game to game basis just show how advanced PS2 architecture is and how impressive being able to emulator this console through a graphics card is. When running in SW rendering, graphics are pixely and frame rate is choppier. SW rendering is really just there as a backup to HW rendering, to be able to navigate through a game as a last resort like if your gfx card is not working with PCSX2 or a particular game. There are a small number of games that still require SW rendering, as graphical issues persist on DX11, but to anyone running on DX11 researching the remaining hardware graphics card issues on DX11 are more of a priority.
That's not true, if you use OGL HW with high accuracy blending, it's already slower than SW in a lot of games like MGS2.
(08-15-2015, 05:17 AM)Dr_Hycodan Wrote: That's not true, if you use OGL HW with high accuracy blending, it's already slower than SW in a lot of games like MGS2.

My experience is in DX11, those using OpenGL will have to comment. I understand that some games SW mode is faster than OpenGL, as OpenGL has been reworked in GSdx.

I know some games run okay on software mode but all I'm saying is you have a graphics card for a reason, so I don't think anyone should be satisfied with running a game on software mode when it can run better through your graphics card. The only reason to use SW mode is if DX11 or OpenGL is not displaying graphics properly, or if a specific game has graphical issues on hardware mode.

I still prefer to run many games on DX11 even with minor graphical issues as opposed to SW mode. The textures look and animate better, can be upscaled, has a smoother frame rate, etc. The complexities of how some games were designed for PS2, i.e. taking advantage of certain PS2 features in the emotion engine, challenge the developer on DX11 on other hardware improvements to GSdx.

With an NVidia graphic card that seems to work with PCSX2 on DX11 just fine I have not needed to use OpenGL at the current time but perhaps those with graphical issues on DX11 (perhaps those with AMD cards) have more success with OpenGL. Though in my experience with an NVidia card I have gotten good quality and performance with DX11.