Software Mode upscaling
You obviously have idea what you're talking about

Sponsored links

Mod the iso, run 720p in sw mode and gg wp
(08-15-2015, 07:02 AM)Dr_Hycodan Wrote: You obviously have idea what you're talking about

Hardware accelerated mode is almost always faster.
I don't mean to sound like an ass, but this discussion isn't really going anywhere.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(08-15-2015, 07:02 AM)Dr_Hycodan Wrote: You obviously have idea what you're talking about

You are confused. I know exactly what I'm talking about. You requested that the GPU only be used to upscale while the software rending does the rest. I pointed out that software mode should not be something that you should be using in most cases. (aside from small number of games) Software mode is really designed to be used as a last resort.

To get the best graphical quality and performance HW mode is the preferred way to run PCSX2. Unless, of course, you have graphical issues with your gfx card to where SW mode is the only way to run a game. I would suggest either getting an NVidia graphics card as opposed to running in software mode.
Nvidia gpus do not have more accurate emulation afaik, just faster in opengl
(08-15-2015, 04:36 AM)planetps2 Wrote: Running on software rendering generates a lot of heat since your hard drive is doing the work that your graphics card was made to do.

Eh... ok. Nice HDD you have there.

A GPU is made for a small range of purposes. It's not a global solution to tackle all problems of the world. A CPU on the other side allows almost everything - but can be slower. The GS seems not to have too much in common with a modern gpu. Therefore you will highly probable never achieve accurate emulation using a GPU without further extension of the functionality (e.g. future dx/ogl versions).

You can currently see that full accuracy opengl rendering can be slower than sw rendering on the cpu. This is probably a strong hint that the gpu is not used how it should be used or how it was designed. Instead we mimic something flexible and precise (cpu-like) on the gpu.
Sure as long as current cpu's are not strong enough to handle core emulation and gs emulation without problems you lessen the load on the cpu by using hw acceleration. But I guess sooner or later cpus can not only handle core emulation and gs emulation with ease but will even allow to upscale without slowdowns.
Upscaling the SW renderer isn't just a 2x factor to add.
1/ First you need 4 times more power
2/ Then you can emulate the GS memory directly which mean you need to add a texture cache in the middle with all issue related to it. To avoid those issue who need to add several conversion functions which will slow down even further the rendering.

In the meantime, CPUs are staying to 4 core, they will likely increases to 8 but the code doesn't seem to scale that well (at least on linux).
what about OpenCL/direct computing over GPU?
It should be more accurate than OpenGL/DirectX as well but I haven't seen much progress there.

The GS Emulation over DirectX and OpenGL is full of hacks and workarounds to make specific effects look correct but it usually breaks effects in other games.
all these workarounds slow stuff down and can probably make it slower than software emulation.

I think thats one of the reasons Sony stopped working on their PS2 Emulator for the PS3 after they removed the real GS chip.

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64

Well actually Gregory tries to implementiert hacks that heal bugs but don't produce new ones. All to cost of speed for sure.