Software rendering works better for all games, despite having great graphics card.
So...I was having trouble playing a lot of my games. The worst of the trouble I had came from Dragon Quest VIII, which crawled at a 19~ FPS during normal cutscenes. Most of the time, I would get a solid 60, but areas with large buildings would slow down really bad.

After trying every speed hack, every plugin option, one by one, my FPS didn't change at all. I got desperate, decided to mess around with the rendering options and I found that the software rendering (which everyone suggests not to mess with) fixed every one of the problems I had will all of my games, and now I'm at a permanent 60 FPS on everything. I mean, sure, there are a lot of graphical bugs here and there, but I'd prefer that to 20-50 FPS and atrocious noises every time someone opens their mouth.

My question is....why? I have an NVidia GTX 570M. It's REALLY good, but there's obviously something keeping it from operating at its full potential. Does anyone have any experience on this they could share?

Sponsored links

you gotta config pcsx2.exe to run on the geforce using nvidia control center. by default it uses i guess your intel HD processor graphics. you also might raise the power plan to high performance. but keep the temperatures in check. Wink
Using a GT555M (overclocked with MSI afterburner to 750 / 1000) and a mobile i7, DQ8 runs fine using 1280x1080 DX9 AVX with xaudio2 160ms async audio. There are rare audio crackles which can be avoided by using portaudio but this would dramatically lower audio quality so I use xaudio2.

Reducing the resolution results in higher speeds but 1280x1080 runs and looks good enough on a 1920x1080 screen.
(06-11-2014, 10:17 PM)sinsaint Wrote: So...I was having trouble playing a lot of my games. The worst of the trouble I had came from Dragon Quest VIII, which crawled at a 19~ FPS during normal cutscenes. Most of the time, I would get a solid 60, but areas with large buildings would slow down really bad.

After trying every speed hack, every plugin option, one by one, my FPS didn't change at all. I got desperate, decided to mess around with the rendering options and I found that the software rendering (which everyone suggests not to mess with) fixed every one of the problems I had will all of my games, and now I'm at a permanent 60 FPS on everything. I mean, sure, there are a lot of graphical bugs here and there, but I'd prefer that to 20-50 FPS and atrocious noises every time someone opens their mouth.

My question is....why? I have an NVidia GTX 570M. It's REALLY good, but there's obviously something keeping it from operating at its full potential. Does anyone have any experience on this they could share?

Wait, graphical bugs? That sounds like hardware rendering, software rendering is fairly close to bug free, but really slow, whereas hardware rendering is fast, yet somewhat buggy.

Did you undo all the settings that you changed aside from switching to software rendering?
So....after going into the Nvidia control center, I plugged in a few random options (just to see if I can change the FPS on hardware mode). When I swapped back over to hardware mode, I got a solid 60 FPS and it ran like a dream, so I tried undoing all the changes I made one by one to find out exactly what made the change. But....I ran out of options. By the time I was finished everything was on default.

Not only that, but when I went to close the Control Center, it asked me if I wanted to apply these changes. As if...I didn't make any changes at all, like it just up and decided to start working correctly. I deleted the PCSX2 entry in the Control Center, so there's absolutely no changes from there, and I haven't changed anything in the PCSX2 itself. And it's still running in Hardware Mode just fine, when it was at 20 FPS before, and I have no clue why. Whatever. Works fine now, I guess?

Oh, and yeah. It was buggier than Hardware mode. Mountains turning black, white lines around sprites, that kind of stuff. Didn't see any of those kinds of problems while using Hardware mode.
You sure you don't have software and hardware mode mixed up? Software mode is almost always 100% accurate, hardware mode has glitches.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
You're probably right. Wouldn't make much sense otherwise. Although I would expect Hardware mode had been the default option.

Any suggestions on how to fix some of the graphical glitches?
(06-11-2014, 11:02 PM)Clank Wrote: Wait, graphical bugs? That sounds like hardware rendering, software rendering is fairly close to bug free, but really slow, whereas hardware rendering is fast, yet somewhat buggy.

Did you undo all the settings that you changed aside from switching to software rendering?

Software is NOT slow. If its slow for you then your CPU can't handle it.
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3
(06-11-2014, 11:15 PM)sinsaint Wrote: Any suggestions on how to fix some of the graphical glitches?

Have you already mentioned which glitches? Some can not be repaired. Some only in software mode, some rare can be solved by hacks. Really depends on the game.