Solution to lag : SSD!
Hey guys, i have a pretty high end laptop but even so, i experience frequent slowdowns when using PCSX2. However, after moving PCSX2 and the game ISO to my Solid Sate Drive (SSD) , the game runs smoothly with no visible hint of lag. Since no one mentioned this before, i thought i would just throw it out here in case someone is looking for a possible solution to laggy games. Smile

Sponsored links

possibly a little extreme, a quick harddisk which is defragmented and not sharing your main drive should be pretty much lag free, but yes SSD's would work ;p

drawback being an affordable drive (64gb) would house a maximum of 16 iso's if you had nothing else on there, but with that awsomeness youd want your pc games and apps on there too xD
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Agreed, SSDs are kinda small in capacity but most of the time i just leave the iso of the particular game i'm playing on my ssd while the rest go into my second or external hard disk so i don't take up valuable SSD real estate Smile An SSD is really not that affordable but the performance boost it gives is really quite worth it IMHO
My 64GB SSD cost around 60 Euros, but I have a USB 3.0 500GB portable drive for my emulation needs now. Does the job perfectly, and no slowdown.
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500k CPU @ 3.30GHz (4CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
GFX Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Sound: Realtek HD Audio (Onboard)
IDK. Never seen lag from a HDD on my laptop, or desktop. Even on the primary.

Maybe you should mention what game this benefited from. Perhaps it's one that loads a lot from the "disc"...(?)

I am eager to get and try out an SSD, though. My desktop just begs for one. Biggrin
But, I'm tryin' to wait for the prices to be right for what I want. I'd really rather not waste my time/money on some asynchronous crap. Laugh
Its probable more the fact the HDD has some kind of broken power management rather than the fact its a HDD.

a common issue on Seagate Laptop drives actually.
PCSX2 shouldn't give you any better performance just by placing it and the game on a SSD.
The only thing I can imagine causing trouble would be a HDD spin down while playing, as Squall suggested.
Putting stuff on an SSD only increase the performance of virus scanning, file compressing/decompressing, media encoding... if your CPU is powerful enough.

In case of PCSX2, games loading time is decreased maybe?
I was loading up KH2 but the opening movie and ingame is really jittery but after transfering the iso to the ssd, the lag disappeared and the game was really smooth.
(10-06-2011, 04:15 AM)Livy Wrote: Putting stuff on an SSD only increase the performance of virus scanning, file compressing/decompressing, media encoding... if your CPU is powerful enough.

In case of PCSX2, games loading time is decreased maybe?

Put my OS on mine and it decreased boot time/load time of games/programs, Basically you put anything on a SSD and it speeds it up haha.

Isn't PCSX2 loading based on an actual PS2? Cause the load times seem the same on PCSX2 as on a real PS2. then again.. it's been awhile since i've been on a real PS2 haha
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64