Some interesting test results, on an I7-4770k @ 3.5ghz
So I borrowed Fezzer for some tests.. and this is the result (using my own settings, just using his CPU)
On Resident Evil Outbreak, using a portion of a level, where it was unmoving these are the speeds (FPS) that were witnessed

This was done on PCSX2 1.2.0 official stable release

With Two Software threads: 142
With Four Software threads: 165
With Five Software threads: 175
With Six Software threads: 166
With Eight Software threads: 150
In Hardware mode (Native): 215

This was an interesting find I think, so I thought I would share.

Sponsored links

I wish I had those specs lol

It was interesting indeed.
[Insert Witty Sig Here.]
Since the CPU has four physical cores (hyperthreading seems not to help much on PCSX2, this test might highlight it), is no surprise that above 4 software threads the FPS goes down Smile
Imagination is where we are truly real
if this was accurate, then why does my i3 have 80fps at 3 threads, and 90 at 4?

my i3 has 2 cores
(05-31-2014, 12:59 AM)Saiki Wrote: So I borrowed Fezzer for some tests.. and this is the result (using my own settings, just using his CPU)
On Resident Evil Outbreak, using a portion of a level, where it was unmoving these are the speeds (FPS) that were witnessed

This was done on PCSX2 1.2.0 official stable release

With One Software thread: 142
With Three Software threads: 165
With Four Software threads: 175
With Five Software threads: 166
With Seven Software threads: 150

This was an interesting find I think, so I thought I would share.
I want me that devils cannon i7 4790k 4ghz stock speed. when that comes i might actual upgrade my pc
(05-31-2014, 01:50 AM)Saiki Wrote: if this was accurate, then why does my i3 have 80fps at 2 threads, and 90 at 3?

my i3 has 2 cores

Seems in this case the OS is caring for the threading since I3 has no hyperthreading to begin with, or so I think.

Edit: Previous reports stated 3 threads was the ideal in almost all cases.

Edit 2: Searched the ARK and the i3 has hyperthreading indeed. The i5 is the one lacking it.
(05-31-2014, 12:59 AM)Saiki Wrote: With One Software thread: 142
With Three Software threads: 165
With Four Software threads: 175
With Five Software threads: 166
With Seven Software threads: 150

I might have the wrong idea here but I'm wondering if they all had 1 more thread to work with than thought since it's 'extra threads'.

So the one where we got the highest fps was when we set it to 4 'extra threads', but is that 1+4?

If that is the case then the highest fps was with 5 threads, which makes the results even more interesting.

But then again I might have the complete wrong idea here.
<REDACTED>
(05-31-2014, 02:55 PM)Fezzer Wrote: I might have the wrong idea here but I'm wondering if they all had 1 more thread to work with than thought since it's 'extra threads'.

So the one where we got the highest fps was when we set it to 4 'extra threads', but is that 1+4?

If that is the case then the highest fps was with 5 threads, which makes the results even more interesting.

But then again I might have the complete wrong idea here.

yes extra threads means "more over the base thread" so yes, that is 5 threads.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

hyper threading test? yep interesting. lock on 5. 4 is regular. irrelevant how thread affinity affects that.

crazy visualization: it's four arms on a table of memory. the 5th could fetch from top. at 6 it collides somewhere. Laugh nah...

it's a cache thingy. the amount of random memory the threads are allowed to or actually do fetch. that includes unused cache line space. there's no barrier. but one can calculate it. if you want 8 people to fetch on that table you gotta make sure everybody got space to work or they throw each others data off the table.
Hyperthreading has some known issues, to try and resolve them Intel is developing TSX (as first purpose I believe). At this point I ask if wasn't better just going for more cores...

No wonder TSX was dropped on i5... as complained in another thread (no pun intended).