Some interesting test results, on an I7-4770k @ 3.5ghz
(06-01-2014, 11:52 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: I believe it's EE + GS + Software thread + Extra threads.

Wow, so on a quad with HT, 1+4 software threads+EE thread+GS thread means it was working fastest with 7 threads in total(I'm assuming the last thread worked best handling background/OS stuff).

Never expected Pcsx2 to take advantage of HT that well.
<REDACTED>

Sponsored links

(06-01-2014, 12:26 PM)Fezzer Wrote: Wow, so on a quad with HT, 1+4 software threads+EE thread+GS thread means it was working fastest with 7 threads in total(I'm assuming the last thread worked best handling background/OS stuff).

Never expected Pcsx2 to take advantage of HT that well.

Gabest did good job with multithreading.
(06-01-2014, 11:52 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: I believe it's EE + GS + Software thread + Extra threads.

close, its EE + GS/Software Thread + Extra Threads. The base GS thread is always used for the mode it's in. So the emulator uses 2 threads generally unless you turn MTVU on, then it uses 3, then if you have 1 extra render thread it uses 4, but of course software mode is slow so the other threads spend a lot of time idle then, which is why setting it to 3 will make it use 4 cores more efficiently.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(06-01-2014, 03:18 PM)refraction Wrote: close, its EE + GS/Software Thread + Extra Threads. The base GS thread is always used for the mode it's in. So the emulator uses 2 threads generally unless you turn MTVU on, then it uses 3, then if you have 1 extra render thread it uses 4, but of course software mode is slow so the other threads spend a lot of time idle then, which is why setting it to 3 will make it use 4 cores more efficiently.

Does it distinguish physical cores from SMT ?
(06-01-2014, 03:39 PM)Monochrome100 Wrote: Does it distinguish physical cores from SMT ?

It goes for physical cores first yes.

(06-01-2014, 03:43 PM)refraction Wrote: It goes for physical cores first yes.

So it working properly what was biggest problem in implementing multithreading like that in hardware mode ?
Hardware mode just runs on the GS thread, which is provided by the main emulator itself.

(06-01-2014, 04:04 PM)refraction Wrote: Hardware mode just runs on the GS thread, which is provided by the main emulator itself.

Wasnt possible to add extra threads like in software mode ?
No because the work is done on the GPU in hardware mode, where software mode does it on the CPU.

would it help to multithread the hardware mode? i just dove in the theory. multithreaded object creation for texture resources. could offload to stream textures while building the vertex lists. but i'd guess that'd bugger the already heavy texture cache implementation. Closedeyes