Some questions - GPU upgrade for my pc..
Hi;

I'm currently running a core i7 870, 4 gb of system ram and a Radeon 5750 1GB graphics card, Windows 7 Ultimate. I am really not happy at all with my PCSX2 performance, can't even run Tekken 4 with V Sync enabled without massive framerate issues. So, my question is simple: if I upgrade to a Geforce GTX 570, but keep everything else the same, how much better will PCSX2 run?

Any ideas? Thanks!

Sponsored links

From what i know,

Nvidia : run games better
ATI : makes games look better

don't blame me if im wrong coz i had a friend who got a pc with same specs as mine except for GPU..he used 9600 GSO while i used HD4670 and he ran pcsx2 better than mine

but what is the point you enabled vsync while you can just limit your pcsx2 fps with internal settings..you got screen tearing problems?? Smile
Sorry, it can't make the games look better. the settings in PCSX2 are what control the visuals, and they are the same across the board.

ATI i've noticed had a tendency to have more glitches and errors however. Though that may have been fixed by now (i'm talking about pre 9.8)
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
the newest ATI catalyst driver (12.3) fixed a lot of problems for me as well makes pcsx2 ran faster..

but still, i wanted to buy a new GPU..(Nvidia, of course) bcoz my old ati lags sometimes even at 2x scaling in gsdx
(04-22-2012, 03:17 AM)kohaku2421 Wrote: From what i know,

Nvidia : run games better
ATI : makes games look better

don't blame me if im wrong coz i had a friend who got a pc with same specs as mine except for GPU..he used 9600 GSO while i used HD4670 and he ran pcsx2 better than me

Wow, do you guys also have the same monitors? because that would make much bigger difference on how games look rather than 9600 vs 4670.

Now to answer the original question, some people say nvidia runs pcsx2 a bit better than amd cards but the difference is nothing like intel cpus vs amd cpus, you wont even notice it all depends on which gpu you get, lets say you get gtx570 or hd6970 those are in the same class but some pc games run better on nvidia and some better on radeon so its hard to say which gpu is faster, the way to know for sure is to run pcsx2 on the same settings on both gpu's and compare the results, as for which gpu makes game look better the answer is the most expensive oneSmile , but really if you buy $100 gpu and $500 gpu and run game on the same settings you might see little quality difference or you might not, quality is determined by game settings and not by brand of the gpu, more expensive gpu allow to run games at higher quality
Mobo: EVGA X58 SLI LE
CPU: Intel i7 920 C0 @ 4.2 Ghz 1.36v Cogage Arrow
Ram: 3x2GB OCZ Gold 1690 9-9-8-24 1.65v
GPU: MSI GTX580 Lightning @ 970/2200 1.09v+MSI GTX460 Hawk PhysX
HDD: Corsair Force GT 120, 2x F4 320GB Raid 0,F4 2TB, WD-G 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX850 80 PLUS SILVER Modular
Case: Antec 1200 EVGA Mod
(04-22-2012, 03:38 AM)vdgamer Wrote: Wow, do you guys also have the same monitors? because that would make much bigger difference on how games look rather than 9600 vs 4670.

Now to answer the original question, some people say nvidia runs pcsx2 a bit better than amd cards but the difference is nothing like intel cpus vs amd cpus, you wont even notice it all depends on which gpu you get, lets say you get gtx570 or hd6970 those are in the same class but some pc games run better on nvidia and some better on radeon so its hard to say which gpu is faster, the way to know for sure is to run pcsx2 on the same settings on both gpu's and compare the results, as for which gpu makes game look better the answer is the most expensive oneSmile , but really if you buy $100 gpu and $500 gpu and run game on the same settings you might see little quality difference or you might not, quality is determined by game settings and not by brand of the gpu, more expensive gpu allow to run games at higher quality

Of course!! We bought our PC from a Cybercafe..weird,right??
all my nvidia gpu's ran in RGB color mode when i bought them its less colorful than ycbcr color mode which is what my radeon cards had set at stock, so maybe that was the difference that you noticed but really its just different color output which can be changed in control panel for any gpu
Mobo: EVGA X58 SLI LE
CPU: Intel i7 920 C0 @ 4.2 Ghz 1.36v Cogage Arrow
Ram: 3x2GB OCZ Gold 1690 9-9-8-24 1.65v
GPU: MSI GTX580 Lightning @ 970/2200 1.09v+MSI GTX460 Hawk PhysX
HDD: Corsair Force GT 120, 2x F4 320GB Raid 0,F4 2TB, WD-G 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX850 80 PLUS SILVER Modular
Case: Antec 1200 EVGA Mod
don't enable vsync in pcsx2, DWM composition already handles it.
From what I know, the past was like this:

Nvidia: top notch, rather expensive
ATI: was an alternative, not compareable tho

but in the recent time everything has changed.

NVidia: expensive and HUGE need of Watts, so price/watts per increase in performance is in my opinion ridiculously bad. Though they run fast-

ATI: Toe to Toe ATI is running better than ever before by consuming to freakin less power, its not even funny.

For me ATI is the way to go, eco-friendly, nice price and good performance.

Note: This is my opinion, not some factual stuff

Regards,
nato
(04-22-2012, 03:37 AM)kohaku2421 Wrote: the newest ATI catalyst driver (12.3) fixed a lot of problems for me as well makes pcsx2 ran faster..

Hi Kohaku...I was pretty excited when I read this comment. I am still on ATI CCC 12.1 preview drivers and have been reluctant to upgrade because sometimes ATI screws things up with their drivers. How much of a speed increase did you see going from 12.2 to 12.3?