Some suggestions
Ok, I've read these forums for some time but yesterday I finally registered Tongue

First I'd like to thanks PCSX2 team for the program. Their progress lately have been astonishing and I can run some games even with my ancient CPU Ohmy

Ok, I have some suggestions to try to solve some of the common problems I've been reading about:
  • Bios dumping: I had some difficulties with the process (even though I have some experience running home-brew applications). My USB stick wasn't recognized (I had to use an old one), the resulting p2b file wasn't recognized by PCSX2 (I later read that it isn't supported) and the extracted files made the emulator crash (Gsdx hardware mode bug). It'll be advisable to document these common problems in the readme file of the tool, or update it to address them. uLaunchELF developers have released the USBD.IRX and USBHDFSD.IRX modules of their program; these modules have a high compatibility with many new USB pendrives, maybe the ELF tool can be updated with them (or to use them if they're available).

• Image mounting: Many people don't know that the Linuz ISO plugin can be used to play directly from an image file (without using Daemon tools, etc...). I'd suggest adding a menu item under the File menu like "Run from Image File" or similar. PCSX2 would autoselect Linux ISO as the Cdvdrom plugin and use it to run the image.

• DirectX update: How about hosting a copy of the last DirectX installer in the pcsx2 website and, if possible, have PCSX2 check and download the new version if the installed one is outdated?

• UAC problems: Moving ini files to a folder under %APPDATA% (a Documents and Settings subfolder), creating a manifest file (or embedding it in the application) requesting administrative rights, or detecting if the process is elevated using the API are possible solutions.

Thanks for your attention Happy

Sponsored links

(07-08-2009, 08:08 PM)Mindeye Wrote: [*]Image mounting: Many people don't know that the Linuz ISO plugin can be used to play directly from an image file (without using Daemon tools, etc...). I'd suggest adding a menu item under the File menu like "Run from Image File" or similar. PCSX2 would autoselect Linux ISO as the Cdvdrom plugin and use it to run the image.
Things will eventually change with the new GUI rewrite, which is in process. Already planned after a fashion, but not immediately

(07-08-2009, 08:08 PM)Mindeye Wrote: [*]DirectX update: How about hosting a copy of the last DirectX installer in the pcsx2 website and, if possible, have PCSX2 check and download the new version if the installed one is outdated?

No, we're not going to host a 80 mb file on our site. Think of the bandwidth consumption. And, it's illegal to redistribute the directx websetup installer, you need to surpass the WGA certification to download it. So, no not really going to do this. At most we may put a link to dxwebsetup page in future installers

(07-08-2009, 08:08 PM)Mindeye Wrote: [*]UAC problems: Moving ini files to a folder under %APPDATA% (a Documents and Settings subfolder), creating a manifest file (or embedding it in the application) requesting administrative rights, or detecting if the process is elevated using the API are possible solutions.

We already plan to move user-created files to a folder in the current user files, but only with the new GUI. Once again, look forward to it XD

About bios, I'm not the one who manages guides, I'll let bosit answer that
Thanks for the answers. It's nice to read that the team has plans to address these issues. Smile

(07-08-2009, 09:25 PM)Krakatos Wrote: No, we're not going to host a 80 mb file on our site. Think of the bandwidth consumption. And, it's illegal to redistribute the directx websetup installer, you need to surpass the WGA certification to download it. So, no not really going to do this. At most we may put a link to dxwebsetup page in future installers

I was talking about the web installer, I didn't know the legal conditions were different to the normal installer. I don't get a WGA prompt when I download it from the Microsoft site.
It doesnt show it if you have validated before Tongue
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Quote:Bios dumping: I had some difficulties with the process (even though I have some experience running home-brew applications). My USB stick wasn't recognized (I had to use an old one), the resulting p2b file wasn't recognized by PCSX2 (I later read that it isn't supported) and the extracted files made the emulator crash (Gsdx hardware mode bug). It'll be advisable to document these common problems in the readme file of the tool, or update it to address them. uLaunchELF developers have released the USBD.IRX and USBHDFSD.IRX modules of their program; these modules have a high compatibility with many new USB pendrives, maybe the ELF tool can be updated with them (or to use them if they're available).

Yeah you're right in all accounts,but the member (florin) who was responsible for the whole system and the bios dump elf hasn't been around for about 3-4 years or so,that's why this hasn't been fixed/addressed. I guess if some other team member would like to pick it up,we could have a nice update making it easier for people to dump and use their BIOS
[Image: newsig.jpg]