Sorry in advance, moving computers how can I move save files?
I am pretty sure that this topic has been done a lot but I did some searching and I could not find the right thread.

So I am thinking about getting a new computer and I would like to pick up in my games where I left off when I get a new computer.

So my question is two part, where are the save states from the emulator stored and where are the memory card files (as if you had an actually PS2 and the memory cards) located at?

Second part, if I can find these files and move them over will they work on the new computer if I am using the same build of PCSX2?

Sponsored links

Just copy and paste the entire pcsx2 folder and youll be fine.
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
(04-14-2013, 01:14 PM)skduck Wrote: I am pretty sure that this topic has been done a lot but I did some searching and I could not find the right thread.

So I am thinking about getting a new computer and I would like to pick up in my games where I left off when I get a new computer.

So my question is two part, where are the save states from the emulator stored and where are the memory card files (as if you had an actually PS2 and the memory cards) located at?

Second part, if I can find these files and move them over will they work on the new computer if I am using the same build of PCSX2?

First, if the emulator is installed at C:\Program Files... that will be a greater opportunity to not doing this anymore, avoid installing games at this folder, even the native PC games.

Assuming you did install from the installer, you'll find a PCSX2 folder under the /Documents. Copy this folder content to inside the actual install folder.
Create an empty txt file under PCSX2 folder and rename it as portable.ini

The above will grant the emulator to become really portable and not depending on anything else than it's own folder anymore.

The saves will be there as everything else also, making it a breeze to transport to any other machine without problems. You may need to run the configuration wizard once again but it is very worthy the trouble.

PS: If going to do the above, that's a great moment to just move the whole PCSX2 folder to outside the Program Files. Just create a folder called C:\Emulators and move the whole PCSX2 folder to inside it. Or just create a C:\PCSX2 folder and move the "content" of the former PCSX2 folder to inside it.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(04-14-2013, 02:04 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: First, if the emulator is installed at C:\Program Files... that will be a greater opportunity to not doing this anymore, avoid installing games at this folder, even the native PC games.

Assuming you did install from the installer, you'll find a PCSX2 folder under the /Documents. Copy this folder content to inside the actual install folder.
Create an empty txt file under PCSX2 folder and rename it as portable.ini

The above will grant the emulator to become really portable and not depending on anything else than it's own folder anymore.

The saves will be there as everything else also, making it a breeze to transport to any other machine without problems. You may need to run the configuration wizard once again but it is very worthy the trouble.

PS: If going to do the above, that's a great moment to just move the whole PCSX2 folder to outside the Program Files. Just create a folder called C:\Emulators and move the whole PCSX2 folder to inside it. Or just create a C:\PCSX2 folder and move the "content" of the former PCSX2 folder to inside it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will do that right now.
So I did make a new folder but I lost my save states and memory card files, most likely because I ran the installer again. Well when I do transfer everything over to the new computer I will make sure that the save states and memory card files are backed up.
(04-14-2013, 04:26 PM)skduck Wrote: So I did make a new folder but I lost my save states and memory card files, most likely because I ran the installer again. Well when I do transfer everything over to the new computer I will make sure that the save states and memory card files are backed up.

The installer should not delete user's files, try doing a search for pcsx2 folder on the whole computer.
(04-14-2013, 04:50 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: The installer should not delete user's files, try doing a search for pcsx2 folder on the whole computer.

You sir are gentleman and a scholar, thanks I did a search and found them.
That's Ken for you Smile He's quite helpful and kind, unless you act like a dumbass Tongue It's his archenemy on forums it seems hahaha right Ken? Tongue
(04-14-2013, 09:24 PM)StriFe79 Wrote: That's Ken for you Smile He's quite helpful and kind, unless you act like a dumbass Tongue It's his archenemy on forums it seems hahaha right Ken? Tongue

Yeah, better not getting on my dark side Smile

I may become a real lord *****.. err... I mean lord sith
hahaha xD