Specification question! Thanks!
Hi guys, first time post here, guess before the question, my computer spec is:

Windows XP SP3
Intel Core 2 @ 1.86GHz
2 GB of RAM
GeForce 7600GT - dual monitoring

I am planning to play some good ol' RPGs like Final Fantasy series, and possibly some other RPG too - borrowed my mate's FF12 for a day, and ran it on following mode:

GSdx SSSE3 with -

Resolution: Windowed
Renderer: Direct3D9 (Hardware)
Shader: Pixel Shader 3.0
Interlacing: None
Aspect Ratio: 16 to 9
D3D internal res: 630 512 with native unchecked

and none of the other settings unchecked.

I seem to be able to get somewhere between 40-50 fps (50-80% it says), sometimes even higher if there aren't much graphics emulators has to load.

I suppose here's my question - I snooped around and it seems doing Vista and putting on DirectX10 would help much so I am planning on doing that very soon, but would that be enough for me to have D3D internal res up higher than native and have 100% fps at 60fps?

Or am I looking at some upgrade to my good ol' secondhand computer?

Thanks a lot guys,

Zion.
I suppose if you wise folks could give me some recommendation over upgrade (if needs to be) that would be great to.

I have rather large ps2 catalog but having my PS2 back home (I dumped my BIOS before sending it back for my nephew =_= thanks god) means I have to do emulator, which I kinda like the idea of since I do dual monitoring, so if people could tell me about the spec/settings in general not just for the FF series or RPG games would be appreciated

Thanks again.

Zion

Sponsored links

Buy good gpu directx.10 compatible, buy good cpu clock C2D or overclock your cpu at.3.0ghz or more.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
if money wasn't too big a issue, what GPU would you recommend?
If you prefer to Nvidia card then buy 8600gt at least.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
(05-22-2009, 10:06 PM)zionking Wrote: if money wasn't too big a issue, what GPU would you recommend?

I bought a 8600GT for $60usd on newegg.com
Thanks guys, I am looking around, how good would 9600GT Palit 1gb would fair? would that + overclocking be good enough? (Oh of course + vista obviously)

Zion
If money isn't too big an issue get a 9800GTX. Really good card. Outstanding price to performance ratio, and it handles just about everything I throw at it.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
(05-23-2009, 06:20 AM)zionking Wrote: Thanks guys, I am looking around, how good would 9600GT Palit 1gb would fair? would that + overclocking be good enough? (Oh of course + vista obviously)

Zion

the 9600 is about 2 times the performance over the 8600 and can overclock to perform like an 8800. it would work fine stock or otherwise.

overclocking shouldnt be done with stock cooling, only minor tweaks if you do
CPU : i7 4930k @ 4.0GHz
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8x8GB 1603MHz 1.60v
GPU : Asus R9 290X 4GB
MOBO: Asus Rampage Extreme IV
OSYS: Windows 10 Pro
(05-23-2009, 07:04 AM)unauthorizedlogin Wrote:
(05-23-2009, 06:20 AM)zionking Wrote: Thanks guys, I am looking around, how good would 9600GT Palit 1gb would fair? would that + overclocking be good enough? (Oh of course + vista obviously)

Zion

the 9600 is about 2 times the performance over the 8600 and can overclock to perform like an 8800. it would work fine stock or otherwise.

overclocking shouldnt be done with stock cooling, only minor tweaks if you do

AH I was talking about CPU overclocking the first kind person has mentioned and advised me to do. haha. I didn't even know GPUs were overclockable!! >.<

So 9600GT + CPU overclocking in Vista would give me pretty much 100% fps in higher D3D resolutions with most of games?? Laugh (I have this computer place voucher handy in me pocket ready to be used haha, goofing off at work you see)

Thanks big time to your replies guys, appreciate ver very much.

Zion
i dont know if you can get full speeds on all games with that cpu, even if overclocked. it should do well tho.

as most of the devs say here the main bottleneck is cpu not gpu.
CPU : i7 4930k @ 4.0GHz
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8x8GB 1603MHz 1.60v
GPU : Asus R9 290X 4GB
MOBO: Asus Rampage Extreme IV
OSYS: Windows 10 Pro