Spectabis | Advanced Game Launcher (Frontend)
Hello.  First of all, props on a fantastic looking frontend.  It's so very nice to have something like this for ease of use.

I have just a couple performance issues that I would like to bring to the developer's attention.   Not a complaint by any means, just so they are aware.

I add box art manually since I prefer full Playstation 2 box scans, instead of cropped ones.  I have my entire 77 disc collection as isos loaded in Spectabis.   When adding box art manually, I noticed that each time an art item is added, it re-scans the entire library, making it a very slow process.   It also returns the user to the top of the list, making them scroll back down to the bottom when dealing with later entries.  Was curious if this could be made more efficient by chance?  Just a QOL suggestion.

A more severe issue is that after 6 or 7 box art entries applied, various random box art images visually disappear and are just white backgrounds.   Basically, they appear empty on the screen, while others appear fine.   You can still mouse over their place, and it shows the name and such, but in order to restore proper functionality, Spectabis must be restarted.  Everything saves properly up to the point that it does this, but it happens every time after no more than 6 box scan art entries.  There is no error in the log or anything to be attributed to this.

Anyways again, very nice program and so very useful.  Thanks very much for this.

Edit: I've uploaded an image to show what I meant exactly in the second issue I mentioned.

https://i.imgur.com/q6s7UhF.png

Sponsored links

Thanks for your feedback! I've improved the boxart changing process, but don't have a library big enough to test if those images are dissapearing now.
[Image: iq2O9Ya.jpg]
(02-26-2017, 12:22 AM)FaithLV Wrote: Thanks for your feedback! I've improved the boxart changing process, but don't have a library big enough to test if those images are dissapearing now.

Hello again,

So, I have a long weekend here, and was curious, is there somewhere I could get your updated revision to try out?   I checked the link in your signature, but it's still the old release it seems?  I could be missing something completely obvious.  Thanks.
(03-10-2017, 02:56 AM)cilvar Wrote: Hello again,

So, I have a long weekend here, and was curious, is there somewhere I could get your updated revision to try out?   I checked the link in your signature, but it's still the old release it seems?  I could be missing something completely obvious.  Thanks.

Well, you could build it yourself, but I'd advise waiting for me to make a new release. It's not quite ready yet and I'm kinda busy now. :/
Hope this works out...

[Image: 687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f63...4c2e6a7067]

1.0.4 release
  • Improved game directory scanning with big libraries
  • Improved performance when changing box art images
  • Improved performance when art scraping downloads and updates box art images
  • Directory scanning blacklist is refreshed when the directory is changed
  • Adding certain games crashes crashes Spectabis #4
  • GiantBomb API key is logged to console at certain times

Download: https://github.com/Spectabis/WPF_Spectab.../tag/1.0.4
(03-11-2017, 06:20 PM)FaithLV Wrote: Hope this works out...

[Image: 687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f63...4c2e6a7067]

1.0.4 release
  • Improved game directory scanning with big libraries
  • Improved performance when changing box art images
  • Improved performance when art scraping downloads and updates box art images
  • Directory scanning blacklist is refreshed when the directory is changed
  • Adding certain games crashes crashes Spectabis #4
  • GiantBomb API key is logged to console at certain times

Download: https://github.com/Spectabis/WPF_Spectab.../tag/1.0.4

Thanks for your replies.  Good to know that they you release downloadable updates periodically then.  I wasn't sure if I was completely missing a download link somewhere or something.  Smile  

Hopefully you didn't go out of your way to make it if you were busy.   Appreciate it all the same though.   I will play around with it some here over the weekend and see how things go.

Thanks.
(03-11-2017, 11:14 PM)cilvar Wrote: Thanks for your replies.  Good to know that they you release downloadable updates periodically then.  I wasn't sure if I was completely missing a download link somewhere or something.  Smile  

Hopefully you didn't go out of your way to make it if you were busy.   Appreciate it all the same though.   I will play around with it some here over the weekend and see how things go.

Thanks.

I probably won't be working on it for next two weeks, so I just tested it a bit and released what's there.
(03-12-2017, 02:07 PM)FaithLV Wrote: I probably won't be working on it for next two weeks, so I just tested it a bit and released what's there.

I wiped all settings clean and started over from the start, in importing ISOs, and injecting cover art.   It's already a world of difference.   Injecting art is very quick now, and I haven't gotten a single crash or any sluggish operation at all.

The only issue I had, was on occasion, after injecting 5 or 6 covers, the following 2 or 3 would not show up in the list.   They were properly accepted, and saved, they just wouldn't show up until a re-load of Spectabis.  Upon this happening, it simply continued displaying the generic placeholder for box art.  The one which says "This Box Is Missing Its Art".   After 2 or 3 insertions, it would return to normal and the next 5 or 6 insertions would show up normally upon loading the art.

The covers which had this issue, upon inserting them, the blurry preview image in the background would show the inserted art fine, just the thumbnail that would not show anything.  That was the giveaway that it was actually taking the art fine, and placing it properly.   Upon reloading Spectabis, all cover art is fine, 100% of the time from my experience anyways.

The only covers affected, were those I mentioned.  The ones being inserted.  All other covers which had already been inserted to this point, remained fine, and appeared fine.

Its a minor issue really, and I only mention it, in the event you may care to check to into it for your own interest.  

Thanks again for posting the latest build as well.   Been such a nice menu system for PCSX2.   Very nicely done on your improvements as well.  Smile
Hello again. So I managed to discover another issue, which is tied to an old issue.

I was going through my ISO list and custom naming everything. I noticed that every time you try to rename something, it takes a very long time. It seems that every time you rename a game, it re-scans the entire library, like it did when inserting box art before.

The same issue showed up again, as was with the box art. After renaming 5 or 6 entries, cover art disappeared from view, and eventually Spectabis crashed. I'm guessing now, that the crash and this issue in general, is directly related to the scanning of the library. It seems if you force Spectabis to re-scan the library too many times, it causes this issue.

In any case, wanted to let you know at least, so you are aware.
Your tools is very great! Thanks for your work! i finally found a solution for multi games configuration