Speedhacks for Older Rig
I'm trying to run Gran Turismo 3 but it is lagging terribly most of the time.

I know my rig is pretty old but was hoping someone could help run me through some tricks or particular setup to squeeze as much as I can outta my current rig.

I'm booting from the image file I made of the game disc.

Here is a link to my hardware specs;
http://valid.canardpc.com/jl1v8i

I've tried using some of the preset Speedhacks but they don't seem to have any effect whatsoever on the game lag.

I'm running the GS thru my Hardware, 3D11. I've tried 3D9 as well but no difference. I try to use 2X native but dropped it back to native and it actually has little effect or improvement.

In game, I'll get around 23-28 FPS when it's really lagging bad, but my EE shows ~53 and GS ~43 at the times is lagging the worst. When I do reach close to 50 fps both of those figures (EE & GS) aren't much lower.

I'm using the GSDX 5875 SSE2 plugin........I can't really think of what else to add that would help someone toss out suggestions?

I haven't made images of any of my other games just yet to compare how my rig handles anything else but I thought it would perform a little better than how it has, even considering how outdated it is.....

Any help/suggestions appreciated!

Sponsored links

You aren't going to get good speeds with those specs.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
would u say my current video card is "salvageable" with a modern CPU/board/memory?

I ask because an upgrade is coming very shortly but I was leaning towards staying with current video card.

thanks
Yeah, you can keep the graphics card.
Does your board support FSB overclocking? If so, that could be an option.

Plus low EE and GS% may point to gpu not being strong enough. This game is tough to handle with most any computer specs.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

(03-05-2014, 07:04 PM)DaTankAC Wrote: Does your board support FSB overclocking? If so, that could be an option.

Plus low EE and GS% may point to gpu not being strong enough. This game is tough to handle with most any computer specs.

It's moderately gpu demanding, but it still runs fine on my gtx 650 at 2-3x native.
(03-05-2014, 07:04 PM)DaTankAC Wrote: Does your board support FSB overclocking? If so, that could be an option.

I found this article that suggests, from my limited knowledge of overclocking, that it is possible...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2023/6

Think it's worth a shot?
Yes give it a shot. Just remember that only you can accept the risks of overclocking on an older board.

If you choose to go this route, I would test it in 10mhz increments. My old ASUS AM3 board could go up to 2.9 ghz on a stock 2.4 ghz Athlon II chip, using strictly FSB.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

Yeah, I have plans to upgrade very shortly anyway so I have no probs assuming that risk.........

Assuming I'm able to OC a modest amount, would you suggest running at all default values first and then stepping into Speedhacks from there?
(03-06-2014, 12:32 AM)fauskie Wrote: Yeah, I have plans to upgrade very shortly anyway so I have no probs assuming that risk.........

Assuming I'm able to OC a modest amount, would you suggest running at all default values first and then stepping into Speedhacks from there?

Yes that would be best although you will almost certainly still need speedhacks.
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black