Sprite blur in Disgaea 2
(01-08-2015, 11:12 AM)rama Wrote: Right. Whatever you actually want to do Tongue2

The whole interlacing topic is rather annoying though. It was needed for "HD" back in the day
(480 lines) but on any current display technology, it sucks.
You get ugly artifacts or flicker, there's a huge processing delay, that blur, etc.
Half the PS2 library suffers from some kind of interlacing related issue.

is it really about HD? i thought they conserved the framebuffer memory. rendering half frames. with a scanline projection matrix trick against the flicker. you could just dump that precise half frames and stretch them. simply double the lines. doesn't even need even and odd. it should deflicker it automaticly cause it's always 2 lines. sure... not the sharpest picture then.

in dmc i just y-double the internal framebuffer it rendered to. i had flickering then in progreesive "rendering" (that projection issue). there you'd need to count even or odd whether add a "scanline offset" or not at the output. upsaling would mean to add a scaled like 4xx-scanlines. i didn't do it back then tho. *shrugs*

Sponsored links

On a TV you could have about 240 lines in a hack'ish "progressive mode" or 480 lines interlaced.
Those 480 lines is the HD option Tongue2
Memory can be conserved several ways but if you have something to display that requires 480 lines
to fully show, then you need to interlace. This is the case with most PS2 titles (unlike the PSX, or SNES, etc.).
ofc you can do 240 line real progressive. the controller just paints on every second scanline. or... basicly input an underclocked ray timing and speed for the complete frame. you'd get some "empty lines" tho or something like that. not sure if and how the controller would or could do that double line thingy to get a standard line signal tho. neither am i a tv guy to know how that signals precisely work. but it's not even a "hack"... i think.

still there're games that render 480 real progressive too. atleast the framebuffer dumps from pcsx2 look like that.