Sprite blur in Disgaea 2
As you can see from the pic, sprites are pretty blurred. Anyone know how I can perhaps change this through the settings so they look sharper?

[Image: 11uux7a.jpg]

Excuse the large image lol, but I wanted to show what it looks like for me on full-screen. Tried putting the res way up to compensate for the large screen size, but there's not much of a difference in sprite blurriness.

Thanks
INTEL i5 3570k @ 3.40Ghz | RADEON HD 7870 | 8GB RAM | 1TB Seagate HDD
GZ-Z77X-D3H 1155 | Corsair 40OW | Hyper 212 Evo AMD | Casecom k5 7688 | 8X 30CM 1X 120CM

Sponsored links

you can try texture filtering, but 2d games like disgaia won't ever be perfectly sharp.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
They're pre-rendered images, not actual separate textures. So when you upscale the game, it just 'stretches' the sprite, causing it to become blurry. It's the same for various texts in a lot of games, where actual textures get rendered to full HD, but texts are just pre-rendered images and will end up being stretched and blurry.

There's really nothing you can do about it aside from not increasing the resolution. This is especially the case in games like Disgaea, where almost everything is 2D. It's the same in Shining Tears too.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
This why PCSX2 needs some filter like HQ2X.

If only. I'd love that so much. Shouldn't be too hard either, for someone with the knowledge. I have written programs myself that use said filter, and once you have a library it's as simple as calling the function on the textures.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
In this game, this is actually the typical PS2 blur the console is known for.
It's probably several issues combined but try using different interlace methods with F5.

Blyss: Before you mess with filters, you better fix the input first. Most games on PS2 have really poor
visuals by default and I'd rather spend some effort on that first.

Developers for PS2 games were using various "anti aliasing" and filtering techniques that often relied
on shifting the output buffer between 2 interlaced fields a bit. Since GSdx needs to output a progressive
picture, it has to blend these 2 frames, producing that look.
Avoiding that in 3D games might be as "simple" as finding a universal progressive mode hack.
In 2D games, I don't even know why this is used. Though Disgaea 2 uses 3D for the environment.
(01-07-2015, 11:37 AM)rama Wrote: Blyss: Before you mess with filters, you better fix the input first. Most games on PS2 have really poor
visuals by default and I'd rather spend some effort on that first.

Oh I didn't mean to suggest I was gonna. Believe me, if I could have, I would have.

As far as projects for me I'll just stick to WX and learning that for the UI Tongue
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Right. Whatever you actually want to do Tongue2

The whole interlacing topic is rather annoying though. It was needed for "HD" back in the day
(480 lines) but on any current display technology, it sucks.
You get ugly artifacts or flicker, there's a huge processing delay, that blur, etc.
Half the PS2 library suffers from some kind of interlacing related issue.
(01-08-2015, 11:12 AM)rama Wrote: Right. Whatever you actually want to do Tongue2

The whole interlacing topic is rather annoying though. It was needed for "HD" back in the day
(480 lines) but on any current display technology, it sucks.
You get ugly artifacts or flicker, there's a huge processing delay, that blur, etc.
Half the PS2 library suffers from some kind of interlacing related issue.

Not a matter of what I want, more like what I can. Tongue

I've tried fiddling with textures and filtering before, and never got anywhere(well I broke some stuff, if that counts).

On the other hand, I have made some small modifications to the UI that actually worked.
I think you can't do anything with it. By the way, do you use 4:3 aspect ratio?
(01-08-2015, 06:14 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: I think you can't do anything with it. By the way, do you use 4:3 aspect ratio?

Nope. That's a widescreen stretched image.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)