Star Ocean 3 Help
So I've decided to maybe give this ago and was playing around with the settings.

First thing I noticed is despite 5x resolution, stuff was blurry. So I turned off the interlace filters and it became clear, but the screen started to shake somewhat. I fixed this by turning on progressive scan at boot up, I read it in another topic here.  Is there any way to force Progressive Scan to always be on? It's kind of annoying to have to always turn it on each time I start the game, I guess.

I've looked at the wiki article, but it doesn't mention settings. I know there is that Bloom Issue that nothing can be done about, so it's not an issue.

When changing areas / loading areas, there are vertical black bars going down the screen, but not during actual gameplay. Anything I can do about that? Some specific GDSX setting I need?

I'm using one of the 1.3.1 builds.
|| Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHZ || Gigabyte AUROS 1080 Ti 11GB @ 2050MHZ/12GHZ Memory || 32GB DDR4 @ 3000MHZ || 1TB Samsung Evo 850 SSD + 128GB 830 SSD || 4TB HDD + 1TB HDD || Windows 10 64-bit Professional || EVGA G3 850w PSU || MB: Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 ||

Sponsored links

The blurry can be fixed by turning off texture filtering - SO3 uses a texture as a framebuffer, so it gets bilinear filtering with that on and will blur. You can set it to the one that mimics what the PS2 does, instead of full on. Also you need skipdraw = something (1 to 4) to remove a broken DoF effect. That will help.

You can force progressive in it by holding Triangle and Cross before the game boots. As in be holding it before you ever boot it in PCSX2. (Edit: Sorry, I see you know that. Save stating might save it, as I recall it does)

That should help. That's the things I did.

Vertical bars IDK about.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Isn't there a way to do it through widescreen patches or cheats? When i was playing it most of the times i didn't remember to press the buttons on boot or i used to simply close the game after saving to memory card and it was going lost on the next boot...Just a suggestion
Interesting. So turn off  AF basically?   For skipdraw...hmm, thanks, didn't know.

Uh, I turned texture filtering off and uhm..I also set Skip draw to 2. Game looks absolutely cruddy.  Like blocks for hair and such. I don't fully understand your post about the mimicing PS2.

Enabling 8 bit textures + the 2 skipdraw seems to normal, no weird huge blurry Depth of field and textures seem fine now.
|| Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHZ || Gigabyte AUROS 1080 Ti 11GB @ 2050MHZ/12GHZ Memory || 32GB DDR4 @ 3000MHZ || 1TB Samsung Evo 850 SSD + 128GB 830 SSD || 4TB HDD + 1TB HDD || Windows 10 64-bit Professional || EVGA G3 850w PSU || MB: Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 ||
Well yeah it's a tradeoff. And the option to mimic the ps2 used to just be the shaded checkbox, but I think it got renamed in the UI overhaul.

But yes, if you turn the filtering off the 3d textures will look like absolute *****. That's what sucks. I never could decide which way I liked it.

Actually I just ran some tests. I had mentioned the filtering thing to gregory and something he did seems to sort it - so having texture filtering off is pointless now and just makes it ugly. But used to it would blur the whole scene slightly.

So yeah it must have just been the broken DoF giving you blur.

Meanwhile I have some issues with this game that I didn't before. Admittedly I didn't try to tweak settings or anything but the map has black vertical lines, the yellow exit triangles flash, and I have some menu weirdness. I need to test to see whats going on and if I should report it. Those things didn't happen when I tried before(back around March with the then current GIT build)
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Hmm, menu weirdness>? My menu runs fine.

Yeah I figured out the Texture thing, it's working fine with just skipdraw on, the huge DoF was killing me. Like unplayable. Glad that got sorted. That + Progressive scan and no interlacing by GDSX, makes it look as good as it can really.

The only vertical black lines I have is when I change scenes. The map is clear to me. I'm only using the multi-core speed hack, and besides that, running @ 5x native resolution. DX11 mode, Hardware. 1.3.1 some random SVN from two weeks ago. I didn't play much, just ran around the zone and watched a few cutscenes, things seemed fine.

Do report back though, the vertical lines while loading may be related to yours, though people say 1200 x 1200 fixes it, no other resolution works to do so.
Yeah I need to update to the latest build and check, I'm using a July GIT. I'll check it out sometime tomorrow.

By menu weirdness I meant like for me, when I force progressive, you know how it gives you three options: 16:9 progressive, 4:3 progressive, 4:3 interlaced? And it shows an icon by each one to press for it? Those buttons don't appear for me in hardware, which never happened before. In game menu is missing some icons too.

I'm fairly certain I just need to update and clear my GSDX configs and stuff, since I haven't cleared them for quite a while and I know some legacy crap in there can cause issues.
The buttons appear for me, so hmm, yeah.