Star Ocean 3: Till The End Of Time
Hey guys! So I've tried playing Star Ocean 3, it seems to run fine on 3X, 60FPS.
When I try it at 4X, the slows a bit and the FPS drops to around 50 and so on.
Is it my graphics card that needs upgrading? Or could it be something else?
Is there any settings that would make it work better?

Thanks for any help!
All other settings are set to default, besides the 3X Resolution. (ISO file, NTSC.)
Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8CPUs)
Memory: 16384 MB
Card: AMD Radeon HD 6670
Display Memory: 4095 MB
PCSX2: 1.2.1

Sponsored links

Increasing internal resolution puts more demand on both the CPU and GPU. In this situation, I'd guess it's your GPU holding you back though, as that CPU is more powerful than mine but I can go to 5x on SO3.

However, you will get just as good results with 3x + MSAA than turning the internal any higher. Go to config->Video->plugin settings. Tick enable HW hacks. Click configure by that. In there, try setting MSAA to 4x maybe. Your machine may handle it, may not, but worth a shot.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-25-2014, 03:13 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Increasing internal resolution puts more demand on both the CPU and GPU. In this situation, I'd guess it's your GPU holding you back though, as that CPU is more powerful than mine but I can go to 5x on SO3.

However, you will get just as good results with 3x + MSAA than turning the internal any higher. Go to config->Video->plugin settings. Tick enable HW hacks. Click configure by that. In there, try setting MSAA to 4x maybe. Your machine may handle it, may not, but worth a shot.

Hm yeah, I think so too. This GPU isn't too powerful I believe. I tried that but it made the game a little choppy still. Guess I'll have to do with 3X for now. Might just upgrade this Gpu soon. Thanks a bunch!
The main question is,do you actually see a difference big enough to make the cpu\gpu work much harder while using 4x

Personally I almost don't see a difference between 2x and anything above(a difference that is worth the extra power needed,electricity consummation and higher temp)
(11-25-2014, 03:07 AM)BadBwai Wrote: Hey guys! So I've tried playing Star Ocean 3, it seems to run fine on 3X, 60FPS.
When I try it at 4X, the slows a bit and the FPS drops to around 50 and so on.
Is it my graphics card that needs upgrading? Or could it be something else?

well your graphics card is a little weak for 4xnative. but, try upscaling in different video backends, that may provide you some speedup.
Example:- game "x" play's at 50 fps on 4x on dx11, game "x" may play 50+ fps on dx9. it's worth trying if you prefer internal resolutions that much.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(11-25-2014, 07:09 AM)vsub Wrote: The main question is,do you actually see a difference big enough to make the cpu\gpu work much harder while using 4x

Personally I almost don't see a difference between 2x and anything above(a difference that is worth the extra power needed,electricity consummation and higher temp)

Yep, there's a huge difference in quality from 3X to 4X, even more so on 5X/6X for me, although at those resolutions, its get choppy to become unplayable. I'm doing fine on 3X though. Researched a bit more and came to the conclusion it's my Graphics card that's holding me back from going higher. Other than that, it's fully playable and enjoyable enough on 3X.

(11-25-2014, 04:56 PM)s.sakash Wrote: well your graphics card is a little weak for 4xnative. but, try upscaling in different video backends, that may provide you some speedup.
Example:- game "x" play's at 50 fps on 4x on dx11, game "x" may play 50+ fps on dx9. it's worth trying if you prefer internal resolutions that much.

Thanks for that, it's pretty much all around the same though when I tried. It's all good.

Thanks for the help guys! =)