Star Ocean 3 at 20fps on an OK machine
Thank you in advance to any and all posters, and sorry for any spelling grammar mistakes I'm typing this on a note 3.

Recently purchased a pretty fair gaming machine as laptops go, but it's struggling at 20fps with star ocean 3 on ps2. I had high hopes the rig could handle ps2 emulation but maybe the machine is just weaker than I thought. I haven't yet tried any other games.

Specs:

CPU 2.4GHz i7-4700HQ (version with the 3.4 boost)
GPU Nvidia 765gtx 2gb ddr5
RAM 12GB ddr3

Running Star Ocean 3 from ISO on SSD Samsung Evo 500+.

Should I be expecting better? Or am I just mistaken?
Thanks !

Sponsored links

mainly laptops are way weaker then a desktop and even if your cpu is a quad core it still is below the 3.0 ghz mark which is seriously recommended. The boost won't help you much, since it'll turn off the other cores and only runs on 1. Star Ocean 3 is one of the heavier games though, so it would be recommended still to try it on a desktop with equivalent hardware, it's even cheaper then that laptop would have been.
Fair enough. Ff10 ran on my old laptop before it exploded so I'm sure this guy can handle some emulation. Sad SO3 is out though I always liked that game.

Thanks.
(07-26-2014, 11:37 PM)StriFe79 Wrote: mainly laptops are way weaker then a desktop and even if your cpu is a quad core it still is below the 3.0 ghz mark which is seriously recommended. The boost won't help you much, since it'll turn off the other cores and only runs on 1. Star Ocean 3 is one of the heavier games though, so it would be recommended still to try it on a desktop with equivalent hardware, it's even cheaper then that laptop would have been.

That laptop cpu annihilates your cpu.

To the OP. Try using some speedhacks. MTVU should offer a decent speed up. Also using the EE cyclerate hack may help as well.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
I'm not about talking about my CPU being bad or his is better, recommended specs for PCSX2 is a quadcore running atleast on 3.0 ghz.
That cpu is about as fast as mine. My cpu chews through almost anything
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
a Has well at less then 3ghz will do fine. Those were written back in the Core 2 days aka back before the i3/i5/i7 lines came out. The newer intel cpus are fin if they are running at less then 3ghz to be honest. MTVU will help a lot with a quadcore.

Also sounds like your Laptop is in energy saving mode try changing to it High Performance mode which will help a ton as well.
If op is still alive:
Can you please post the ee% and gs% during slowdowns while you are not using any speedhacks?
What is the difference in fps between activating/deactivating recommended speedhacks + MTVU?
Still alive had kinda given up hope on SO3.

I'll pull it all up now and see what sone tweaking will do.

This is the first rig I've delved into ps2 emu tho so my knowledge is pretty basic.
Ok well I feel really dumb.

Thanks Topken. It WAS in energy reduced mode. I could have sworn I turned that off when I got it.

It's running solid so far at 60 fps ee80% gs9-21%.

At slowdowns I will definitely tap into the speed hacks you mentioned. Thanks everyone.