Star Ocean 3 help
Hi guys,

I've looked through nearly 20 threads but couldn't find a solution for Star Ocean 3. On the newer versions of pcsx2 (1.2.1, 1.3), I can create a new game but once it gets to the first cinematic the screen turns blacks every 30s or so, seemingly on the same spots.

I also tried to run on 0.9.6 with the tri-ace fix. I could create a new game but once it got to the first scene the program crashed completely.

Also, on my old laptop I used to be able to play it but with lower fps. Now I have a new laptop and higher fps but I'm getting random black screens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored links

Please post your emulog. And, did you try running the game in software mode ?
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Thanks for the replies, do you need the entire emulog or just the end? Also how do you run on software mode?

Model: aspire v3-572g
Processor: i5-4210U @1.70GHz (4 cpus), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192 mb ram
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 840M
Go to gsdx plugin settings and set video renderer to dx11 (software mode) or just directly press F9 while playing the game.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Awesome, that fixed the intermittent black screens! It looks like it dropped my fps from 50 to 25-30 though so I'll have to look into that.
Set extra rendering threads to 3 and check whether it offers any performance boost or not. And, make sure you have enabled mtvu hack.
- Refraction
I enabled MTVU, but not sure how to set the extra rendering threads. Dang this is rough, if I turn off software mode it immediately jumps to 55 fps haha but then the black screens come back. I wonder if it's just the beginning scene.
The extra rendering threads option is there at the bottom of gsdx plugin settings. ( under the title of software mode settings).
- Refraction
Ah, got it. That boosted me from 20-25 to 30-35 fps. Laugh

Edit: Getting 40-45 outside of cut scenes though!