Star Ocean 3 lag spikes
Okay so basically, my emulation is near flawless, everything runs perfectly the only problem is I'll randomly get a lag spike (drop in FPS from 50 to 35-40, PAL version) when running around or in the menu/in an FMV.

Also at the start of every battle I get a lag spike (FPS drops to 35-40) and the sound stutters for a few seconds, the characters voices go distorted/slow-mo.

What's weird is the battle then plays flawlessly without lag or issue. As you can probably tell though these small yet very noticeable lag spikes are affecting my enjoyment of the game as it doesn't feel like I'm playing the game anymore it feels like I'm emulating (which obviously I am but yeah).

My system specs are:

CPU: i7-930 @ 3.56GHZ
RAM: Corsair XMS3 Tri-channel 6GB DDR3 @ 1600MHZ
Mobo: ASUS P6X58D-E
GFX: Radeon HD 5770 1GB @ 950MHZ/1400MHZ

I'm using PCSX2 1.0.0 (r5350) and using D3D11 Hardware (I've messed with every possible setting here and it's changed nothing).

My EE is set to 2 and VU set to 1 but I've tried disabling them, putting them both at every single combination etc, they changed nothing.

Any ideas please? Help greatly appreciated, thank you for reading.

Sponsored links

I had the same problem (ntsc not pal), you probably shouldn't need the EE and VU speedhacks, but you do need to use Imgburn or a similar program to make an image of the disk and run it off your hard drive, the DVD drive won't access fast enough.
I've found this to be true of most games, I've also heard that running a game from the disc on the PC could possibly damage the disc eventually.
(08-07-2013, 07:16 AM)metalgeek2 Wrote: I had the same problem (ntsc not pal), you probably shouldn't need the EE and VU speedhacks, but you do need to use Imgburn or a similar program to make an image of the disk and run it off your hard drive, the DVD drive won't access fast enough.
I've found this to be true of most games, I've also heard that running a game from the disc on the PC could possibly damage the disc eventually.

I've tried both DVD drive and from my HDD. I also tried NTSC version for both and that brings the exact same problem, too.

Ugh. lol.
You can try turning 8-bit textures on or off, that sometimes helps on things like menus and FMVs in my experience.

What are your EE and GS %'s looking like when those spikes hit?
[Image: 2748844.png]
(08-07-2013, 09:42 AM)Koji Wrote: You can try turning 8-bit textures on or off, that sometimes helps on things like menus and FMVs in my experience.

What are your EE and GS %'s looking like when those spikes hit?

Tried 8-bit on and off, no difference.

EE is ranging from 30-80%, I can't tell wether it shoots high or not at the start of the battle lag because it's literally only for 1-3 seconds the lag occurs (and sometimes again for 1-2 seconds in battle, rarely) and the EE is constantly changing. It averages 50% EE in battle though.

GS is 20-40% constant.

VU seems to go up to around 40-50% when battles start then back to 0% after I'm out of battle.
Your CPU is struggling... Make sure you have MTVU on in speed hacks. This may or may not help. I notice it doesn't make a difference in most games having it on or off. In some games it could help greatly but in most it really doesn't.

Have you tried playing it on native res? That could help lower CPU strain and make it better.
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3
(08-07-2013, 11:44 PM)fade2black001 Wrote: Your CPU is struggling... Make sure you have MTVU on in speed hacks. This may or may not help. I notice it doesn't make a difference in most games having it on or off. In some games it could help greatly but in most it really doesn't.

Have you tried playing it on native res? That could help lower CPU strain and make it better.

Just a comment on this : he did enable mtvu hack, else he wouldnt get a VU% in his gsdx titlebar.
@Op : Seeing the nature of your cpu, maybe it's your gpu that is struggling.
Follow fade2black's advice and set gsdx internal res to native.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(08-07-2013, 11:44 PM)fade2black001 Wrote: Your CPU is struggling... Make sure you have MTVU on in speed hacks. This may or may not help. I notice it doesn't make a difference in most games having it on or off. In some games it could help greatly but in most it really doesn't.

My CPU is struggling? Damn.

Think OCing from 3.56ghz to 4ghz will make a difference?

Yeah tried native res it didn't change anything. Sucks.
OC'ing will always make a difference. It will never make it worse though. You will see better speeds even if it is only by 400mhz.
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3
(08-09-2013, 02:47 AM)seizmic Wrote: My CPU is struggling? Damn.

Think OCing from 3.56ghz to 4ghz will make a difference?

Yeah tried native res it didn't change anything. Sucks.

PCSX2 scales almost perfectly with clock rate. A 10% CPU overclock will increase performance about 10%. This holds true till something else becomes the bottle neck (GPU in some games)
[Image: 2748844.png]