Star Ocean 3 running slow (about 25-30fps)
Hi, tried everything and read all the faqs but is this emulator that demanding? I tried playing this game today after I downloaded and installed thee emulater but its unplayable at those rates. the graphics dont seem that great either for it to be a demanding game (at least compared to what other games I play)

Here I my specs:
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
XFX GeForce GTS 250 512mb
Intel Core Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00 GHz
4 GB of DDR 2 Ram

Think the comp . is just to slow to run this thing?

Sponsored links

No I'm running it better on a slower comp try download the latest GSDX from the GSDX thread.
(08-09-2009, 09:10 PM)waynebrady Wrote: ...
the graphics dont seem that great either for it to be a demanding game (at least compared to what other games I play)

i hope this comparison refers to other ps2 games you tried and not pc games Wink and the "look" of a game does not necessarily tell you how difficult it is to emulate, even some 2d games are doing nasty tricks with the ps2 hardware, which are very hard to emulate, resulting in low fps values. try the latest beta revisions of pcsx2 and plugins, run the game as an iso image from your hdd and make sure you use the sse4.1 variant of gsdx with the dx10 (hardware) renderer.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
(08-09-2009, 09:48 PM)zero29 Wrote:
(08-09-2009, 09:10 PM)waynebrady Wrote: ...
the graphics dont seem that great either for it to be a demanding game (at least compared to what other games I play)

i hope this comparison refers to other ps2 games you tried and not pc games Wink and the "look" of a game does not necessarily tell you how difficult it is to emulate, even some 2d games are doing nasty tricks with the ps2 hardware, which are very hard to emulate, resulting in low fps values. try the latest beta revisions of pcsx2 and plugins, run the game as an iso image from your hdd and make sure you use the sse4.1 variant of gsdx with the dx10 (hardware) renderer.

How do I get my ps2 disc into an ISO image? sorry im really new to this, the last time i played an emulator was an snes one.
use imgburn, a guide can be found here
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
(08-09-2009, 10:50 PM)zero29 Wrote: use imgburn, a guide can be found here

Thanks finally got it to work. I still only get like 45-50 fps during cutscenes. Also thanks dralor for the heads up, that helped alot (downloading the new GSDX), also whats the sse4.1 variant of gsdx? Sorry again new to this whole thing, but I at least got it to work at a decent setting (fps wise) so that I could at least play.

oh well nvm, with the speed hack options i could get it up over 60fps
SSSE3 and SSE4 versions of the plugin are made to use the newer CPU extensions for a little more speed, your CPU can use SSE4 so you should use that one. When you extract the GSdx plugins into the plugins folder they should appear in the graphic plugins list from "config > configure" so you can see SSE2 SSSE3 and SSE4.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(08-10-2009, 12:50 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: SSSE3 and SSE4 versions of the plugin are made to use the newer CPU extensions for a little more speed, your CPU can use SSE4 so you should use that one. When you extract the GSdx plugins into the plugins folder they should appear in the graphic plugins list from "config > configure" so you can see SSE2 SSSE3 and SSE4.

Thanks for the info. guys ! Smile.. that SSE4 and the new plugins made a huge diff., also realized that getting more than 60fps is not neccesarily a good idea lol. Anyways thanks for the help, now im getting 59-60 fps throughout the game.
more than 60 fps is nice for level grinding in rpgs and to skip cutscenes, you can switch between the frame limiting modes with F4 or toggle the frame limiting with TAB during the emulation. and if you got a problem e.g. with a minigame that needs fast reaction times, just set the custom fps limit in your cpu config of pcsx2 to something like 30 or even lower and select "limit" as frame limit mode Wink
Damn I should of thought to do that with ethereal phantasia's guitar songs. They get kinda hard.