Star Ocean 3 runs very slow (20 - 35 fps)
Okay, before i make this thread, I've checked out other post regarding star ocean 3's slow fps, and as of now, after I've follow those suggestions, it doesn't boost that much (i only feel the speed in the menu tough)

ok here's the PC specs:
Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel Core2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz,
2.0GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS,
DirectX version 11

and the things i've modified on PCSX2 0.9.8:
(I don't know how to insert pics from my hard drive to here so ive just attached it)

btw, i use daemon to mount the .iso of the game, then use the cdvd plugin to run it on the mounted .iso then hit the Boot CDVD (fast), i make it this way to make an easier switch when im about to use codebreaker (or is there any better way to insert cheats in pcsx 0.9.8)

other things ive done to speed the game is to set the priority of pcsx2 to high in task manager, close other unnecessary programs, set the preset to balance (as seen on the attached pic)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

The game runs faster in progressive scan mode (from my experience). When you start the game it says that you have to press two buttons (I think square and circle) and it'll switch to progressive scan. This also removes the need to use a deinterleave (which by it's nature destroys graphic quality as well).

VU cycle steal hack works fairly well on this game, and if I remember correctly an older version of GSDX can be faster for it (I believe I used to use the GSDX version from the 1888 beta, though I'm not sure if it's compatible with 0.9.8). You can also try lowering the resolution to native.
[Image: 2748844.png]
Quote:The game runs faster in progressive scan mode (from my experience). When you start the game it says that you have to press two buttons (I think square and circle) and it'll switch to progressive scan. This also removes the need to use a deinterleave (which by it's nature destroys graphic quality as well).

what is this progressive scan mode? and this dienterleave? i don't have any idea what these are,

well VU cycle steal hack works! (raise fps to 60) thx, but still.. will this hack works throughout the game or sooner or later it will mess up (i remember i once used a speed hack in suikoden IV, it fairly boost up the game but it makes me impossible to interact to any NPC, and then i realized that the game has a dash button..)

anyways thx!Smile
VU Cycle steal doesn't normally cause games to crash, but it may cause other slowdowns or graphical glitches. If you start to see them, just make sure to dial the hack back a bit till you get a comfortable level of increased speed with no additional problems.

Interleaving is a video technique where you display every other line of video for one fraction of a second (1/30th for NTSC) and then the other set of lines another fraction of a second (also 1/30th). On non-hi-def TV this games fairly good results since their screens are interleaved as well. On computer monitors and HD TVs, the screens aren't interleaved, but rather progressive (all lines are displayed at the same time). If you put an interleaved video output on a progressive screen, you get screen "bouncing" and you have to use a deinterleave method (like you have on now). Most games either have a progressive scan option, or it's on by default. Star Ocean 3 doesn't by default but rather has an almost comically "small print" to activate it whenever you start a new game or load one... Again, I forget the exact button combination but it should say it somewhere.

If you can find it and turn it on the game should run a little better and will look graphically more impressive (as deinterlacing, as I mentioned before, by it's nature destroys some video quality... Either throwing out half of the graphic data (half resolution) or by blurring, etc)
[Image: 2748844.png]
Press X and triangle during boot up, it should prompt you to change to progressive mode. It seems to run faster.
Custom Desktop
CPU: Haswell Core i7 4770 3.40 GHz (3.90 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
CPU Instructions: MMX, SSE1, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1,
SSE4.2, EIST, iAMT2, Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)  
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: 3 x 1 TB Western Digital HDD
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
Audio: Realtek 5.1 HD Audio