Star Ocean Randomly Crashes
Before I go into detail, I would like to say I have completed the game successfully (post-game as well) with no problem or crashes (For this reason I will decide to delay posting my pc specs or configs unless it is absolutely required, since if another forum user tries what I did and encounters the same problem, it shall reveal that the problem may lie not within just the pc specs. Star Ocean just runs very well and very fast on my laptop. My main reason to continue so with the game is to acquire all 300 battle trophies. Namely the 50,000 battles, battle trophy. For this one I'm using the strategy to set the Lilypad 0.9.11 on turbo mode so that I could just sleep while it racks up battles in the Gemity Battle Arena. This all would seem worthwhile if it weren't for the fact that it randomly crashes, whether speedhacks or advanced settings, or gamefixes (the VPU add/sub hack esp), were enabled or not, and whether I change the Gsdx revision plugin to an older or newer one, or whether I use save states or not. Why is it the game works so flawlessly elsewhere and yet it fails to satisfy my final last request from the game. It is the case that the crash happens just randomly, and while I have enabled the console sometimes to determine the origin, nothing shows up in the console regarding the crash issue. I will post my specs and configs if it can be of any help at a later tiem as I just ran out of battery power, but like I said, I don't believe my pcsx2 configs will be of much help, because I tried many different combinations, and they all resulted in a random crash that can either happen within 3 to 15 mins. So far I can only narrow it down to the turbo controller to be the cause of a crash, but that seems almost absurd, so I would like to ask some of you other people who may have more experience with pcsx2. The crc is 23A97857, and I did use Alcholol 120% to extract the mdf/mds files from the 2 DVDs.

Sponsored links

I've got to guess it's something with the turbo mode as I don't remember any SP2 controller with a turbo button so it could be some incompatibility introduced there.
Tried on a couple different games (don't have my SOEoT with me). It's either game specific or computer specific. Sorry, best I can offer currently.
(07-23-2009, 06:04 AM)dralor Wrote: I've got to guess it's something with the turbo mode as I don't remember any SP2 controller with a turbo button so it could be some incompatibility introduced there.

Turbo works fine with SO on the PS2. MadCatz makes turbo controllers. The turbo function is just software interpreting button holds as button presses. Since this is an emulator, it's now made by the plugin which simply takes the button that's being held down and tells the program that a button is being held down. Turbo mode would send that button to the program multiple times a second (3-5 I think). Since the program and game can handle that it'd be a problem with the emulation or the computer.
It appears that Gsdx 0.1.15 Revision 1469 works fine with the above method. I was able to get 5000 battles in so far within an 8 hour time-period with no crash.