Star Ocean: Till the End of Time - No performance gain.
Hello, recently I upgraded my ancient computer in the hopes to attempt to play some of the more demanding games in HD. This one and Wind Waker (for dolphin) and Xenosaga 3 was the main driving goal. While the other two run near flawless the one is at the exact same percentage wise as my old rig. Hovering around 85-90%. It has to be some kind of buffering issue right?

My Old
Q6600 Intell
280 GTX
4GB of RAM.

My New
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 6-Core 3.33 GHz
980 GTX
32 GB of RAM

I know its more than likely not my hardware... maybe my settings. Using the latest possible orphis build, standard speed hacks don't seem to effect performance. I am using OpenGL hardware as I want the visual upgrades, DX11 is borked for some reason. No hardware hacks, and custom resolution is 1200 x 1200 for compatibility.

EDIT: It's worth noting that DX11 does run full speed locked at 60fps. But with various graphical issues throughout the game.

Edit 2: Scratch that D11 after awhile exhibits the same issue after awhile.

Sponsored links

According to passmark,the single threaded performance(which is important for pcsx2/dolphin...basically every emulator)of i7-980x is around 50% higher than Q6600 but still not enough for 3d games
You need around 1600 as a minimum but you have 1452

Single Thread Rating
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php...&cmp[]=866
That processor should be pretty overclockable though.
What are EE% and GS% during slowdowns?
Custom resolutions can cause issues, so just to be on the safe side set it to a native scaling resolution.
Shadow are very expensive to compute. You need to disable them with CRC (set to full) but of course you will lose the shadows Tongue2
(04-20-2016, 02:24 PM)gregory Wrote: Shadow are very expensive to compute. You need to disable them with CRC (set to full) but of course you will lose the shadows Tongue2
That isn't the issue here though. Wink CRC lower than full causes a far bigger drop in performance and more issues.
You didn't see me Tongue2 (note Hardware depth might requires additional power too).
Quote:Custom resolutions can cause issues, so just to be on the safe side set it to a native scaling resolution.

This game requires 1200 x 1200 to fix a graphical issue.

Quote:According to passmark,the single threaded performance(which is important for pcsx2/dolphin...basically every emulator)of i7-980x is around 50% higher than Q6600 but still not enough for 3d games

You need around 1600 as a minimum but you have 1452

It's puzzling that this same hardware config plays nearly every game at 100%. Even this one when switching to DX11... But that you for thank heads up I simply bought what was the most expensive not looking at what was "best" I just assumed it was going to be the best. No matter, I submitted it for return now I'm getting the highest rated single thread performance on passmark. the Intel Core i7-4790K. But I have this lingering suspicion that this will not fix the issue. This game has always historically had performance issues. No the less I overnighted it and we will find out soon.
(04-20-2016, 09:22 PM)Mako Wrote: This game requires 1200 x 1200 to fix a graphical issue.
What graphical issue?