Star ocean 3 problems....
(11-18-2012, 01:42 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Now we have something to ponder about.

1 - Is that problem affecting the 4000 and 5000 series still present?

could still be for the starocean games, i dont have 4xxx/5xxx cards so i cant test it out no?, all i know is that i could use msaa etc on star ocean without speed drops with an nvidia card, so i am asuming it is still present.

Sponsored links

One needs to understand the nature of emulation development and how it claims for creativity and competence to resolve or workaround whatever "particularity" the actual game's developers deemed fit to put in their program. Let alone the emulator's developers almost always are working over hardware they have little or no official information at all.

Taking this into account becomes easier to understand why a certain game works wonderfully, flawlessly and fast while another seemingly more simple makes the machine scream, the image is full of artifacts, performance is a pit and so on.

No GS plugin can do much if the image information coming from the emulator is out of standard or has less than perfectly formed vectors.

One "solution" would try and make extensive patches for each game over there which would possibly break every other game.

The other is try and refine the emulator to the hardware particularities less commonly used and then vastly unknown but the "misbehaving" games love to use.

PCSX2 team try this last solution above all and I believe they are in the correct path. The downside is this forces an insane amount of work and maybe at expense of well sleepy nights in a roll. The practice then forces a compromise and we can see smaller patches to deal with game breaking or severe issues and are now cataloged in a database for automatic application.

But then, PS2 has still many secrets to be found and addressed and till it happens the emulation can't be deemed accurate in all cases and the emulator's output may not be well formed and then the glitches and bugs made evident by the plugins become evident to the user.

Of course the plugins themselves are subject to bugs as well. Sometimes the emulator's output is correct but is not common and might not have a correct treatment from the plugin. This just adds to make a bit more complex to pinpoint what must be fixed, the core or the plugin?

There is a lot to say about these particularities of emulation but let's not try and make a treatise of it in a post.

What must be understood is a game's developer is tasked to deal with that game only and they are free to implement whatever weird or unusual solution for a particular situation in the game.

The emulator's developers don't have that luxury, they must deal with every game for the emulated console and whatever the particularities of that specific game just makes a hell of harder the emulator's life.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(11-18-2012, 02:21 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: One needs to understand the nature of emulation development and how it claims for creativity and competence to resolve or workaround whatever "particularity" the actual game's developers deemed fit to put in their program. Let alone the emulator's developers almost always are working over hardware they have little or no official information at all.

Taking this into account becomes easier to understand why a certain game works wonderfully, flawlessly and fast while another seemingly more simple makes the machine scream, the image is full of artifacts, performance is a pit and so on.

No GS plugin can do much if the image information coming from the emulator is out of standard or has less than perfectly formed vectors.

One "solution" would try and make extensive patches for each game over there which would possibly break every other game.

The other is try and refine the emulator to the hardware particularities less commonly used and then vastly unknown but the "misbehaving" games loves to use.

PCSX2 team try this last solution above all and I believe they are in the correct path. The downside is this forces an insane amount of work and maybe at expense of well sleepy nights in a roll. The practice then forces a compromise and we can see smaller patches to deal with game breaking or severe issues and are now cataloged in a database for automatic application.

But then, PS2 has still many secrets to be found and addressed and till it happens the emulation can't be deemed accurate in all cases and the emulator's output may not be well formed and then the glitches and bugs made evident by the plugins become evident to the user.

Of course the plugins themselves are subject to bugs as well. Sometimes the emulator's output is correct but is not common and might not have a correct treatment from the plugin. This just adds to make a bit more complex to pinpoint what must be fixed, the core or the plugin?

There is a lot to say about these particularities of emulation but let's not try and make a treatise of it in a post.

What must be understood is a game's developer is tasked to deal with that game only and they are free to implement whatever weird or unusual solution for a particular situation in the game.

The emulator's developers don't have that luxury, they must deal with every game for the emulated console and whatever the particularities of that specific game just makes a hell of harder the emulator's life.

wtf is this about lol, could atleast warn people: wall of text incomming

xD
The wall of text which I tried hard making less than a wall is an attempt to understand that glitches and artifacts in sound, image or whatever other issue in a certain game is not always simple to point out which is the real culprit.

Maybe a long text is better than hurried assumptions. Maybe you are right and is a problem with the card but is a tad broad to just state it without verification. Better if you said it as a possibility to be investigated.
He is just too lazy to read. I read it all and understood it. It makes sense. He wrote very well with nice spacing in it. If he didn't add those spaces to it then would really be a wall of text. I do not know why you are complaining.
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3
Try some of the GSdx hacks against the random color bleed.
I remember this as well and how it tends to mess up the otherwise really nice graphics :/
My best bet would be the Wild Arms offset hack.
One other suggestion: Try various internal resolutions and don't be shy to try values like 1207*1209.
I do not see the Wild Arms hack listed in rev. 5457.
(11-18-2012, 06:44 PM)fade2black001 Wrote: I do not see the Wild Arms hack listed in rev. 5457.

It's on the GSDX config, "Enable HW hacks" and has two levels of activation, from none/deactivated it gets the v mark for full and then a little square for half.

I did not test it to be honest, but saw it there once Smile
Unfortunately that hack makes it worse.
(11-18-2012, 10:52 PM)fade2black001 Wrote: Unfortunately that hack makes it worse.

Rama pointed it as a possibility, try those others one at a time, with luck one of them may work.