Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
Mostly Suikoden games, maybe Tales Of games, the most demanding games I think on it will be the odd game of Tekken.

I don't play games much anyway on it, became awkward to attach a external hard drive and a usb controller.

Sponsored links

The tales games should be fine they are generally pretty light
Suikoden series will have more slowdowns (especially if you need to use software mode to fix some things)

Tekken 5 will not be a nice experience in general, it might be playable but probably not really ever full speed. That could effect gameplay, but it is a personal preference on if fighting game framerate issues make them unplayable or not.
Hi everyone! It's my first post here. And my question... Will Intel i5-8400 be a good choice?
It is a fine CPU choice. Assuming it has adequate cooling and power it should be fine for all games but the edge case ones that don't really run well on most CPUs.
I wonder if i5-7600K (overclocked to 5000 MHz) has a real advantage (performance/frame rate/animation fluidity) over i5-8400.
(06-24-2018, 12:59 AM)pcsixi Wrote: I wonder if i5-7600K (overclocked to 5000 MHz) has a real advantage (performance/frame rate/animation fluidity) over i5-8400.

The vast majority of games... no, it would have little to no real impact unless you disabled frame limiting which would likely cause all sorts of problems in a lot of games.

For those odd edge case games that use odd techniques that are not well supported yet or other reasons... yes and an i5 8600k or i7 8086k clocked even higher might be even better still, but again for most games the i5-8400 should be fine, unless you have to have 100% locked speed 100% of the time.

As far as I know there is no CPU that can play all PCSX2 playable games at 100% speed 100% of the time.
I'd like to push 30 fps-tailored games to 50-60 fps. Is it feasible with i5-8400 after lowering resolution (to 480p) and reducing to a minimum other settings (achieving that raw original look like on the console hooked up to a crt screen)?
Probably not, the demands of making a game run above what it ran on the PS2 tends to dramatically increase the CPU requirements.
-Overclocked i5-8600K, maybe?
-i5-8400 with "speed hacks"..?
I think of 30 fps games accelerated to about 50-60 fps thanks to very low resolution (480)...
The resolution matters very little to not at all in regards to emulation speed (well uless you make it higher then your GPU can handle) and lowering the resolution would only really lower the demand on the GPU which is not doing the major heavy lifting (the CPU is).

An overclocked 8600k would be a better choice if you really want to explore the world of higher then PS2 speeds, but even then I can't guarantee it will be enough for all games.