Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
Thank you for the explanation. Is it difficult to estimate how many games can be speed up to 50/60fps using 8600K ? About 40%, 60%, 80% of the games?

Sponsored links

It is more dependent on the actual game then that. Also if you add in that a lot of games just break if you run them over what they originally ran at. I couldn't even begin to guess. To be fair I couldn't guess at the number a 8086k or 8700k could either, but I doubt either of those would be fast enough for all the games (or just all the games that don't break).
Anybody here shed some light:

Would an AMD Ryzen R3 2200 (APU) handle PCSX 2 on its own (no video card)?
https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-2200g

If not, any suggestions for a budget CPU/GPU. I've seen a Pentium G4500 handle PCSX2 with a GTX 1050 video card and it's a weaker chip. Would it handle it then with a GT 1030? I really don't want to fork out money for a gaming rig since I'm not longer a serious gamer.
Ryzen 3600X || 8GB DDR4-2666 || GTX 1650 4GB || Debian 10 || PCSX 1.7 (App Image), 1.5 (Stable), 1.4 (EOL)
LF - that r3 2200g will handle quite a few games. Its got an stp of roughly 1800.. which is what the general consensus for performance required to run the majority of games well. I dont know anything about the embedded gpu, but I bet you can at least play at native or 2x.. I dont know if its on par to the vega they are packing with the intels on some now or not..

When it comes to PCSX2, the g5000 is a stronger chip (better single thread performance) with a stp score of roughly 1900.. My gtx 750 handles most games at 3x-4x (roughly 1080p) quite happily. The gtx 1030 is only slightly weaker than my 750 ti.. so it should be able to handle most things at 2-3x native.. maybe even 4x on some games.

The intel/nvidia solution you ask about is the better solution for pcsx2.
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
The ryzen build is better in Dolphin when utilizing the vulkan or directX backend as long as you have good fast ram. This is because the iGPU in the ryzen is on par with or slightly better then the gt 1030 in a lot of instances and the 2200g is good enough for what dolphin usually requires for CPU.

For PCSX2 the intel and Nvidia build win because (without an overclock) the intel cpu is slightly faster then the ryzen one. PCSX2 does not have a vulkan backend and the directX 11 one is not as good as the OpenGL one and AMD has not been able to write a decent OpenGL driver for a long long time (and yes lots of people have told them this and no they will probably never fix it).

If you get into native PC gaming the Ryzen build is slightly better for the same reasons as to why it works slightly better in dolphin and for general tasks the Ryzen CPU is much better since it is a true quadcore and multi threaded workloads can really take advantage of it.
Thanks for the advice guys. My main focus is PCSX2 so it'll be a major factor. I can always upgrade later (intel socket consistency permitting, else new mobo too, but an upgrade is an upgrade, you do it when you're serious). My PS2 can finally RIP with my other consoles Laugh
Ryzen 3600X || 8GB DDR4-2666 || GTX 1650 4GB || Debian 10 || PCSX 1.7 (App Image), 1.5 (Stable), 1.4 (EOL)
LF - the intel is your best bet then.. Its a socket 1151, which IF I remember right is 4th gen ? That means you can get something like an i5 7600k and have one hell of a setup when you free up a little cash.
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
Hi everyone, I want to buy the new hp pavilion x360 with these specs:

CPU I7-8550u
RAM 12 GB
GPU Nvidia MX130 4GB

and i play PES 2012 (Pro Evolution soccer). Will it run smoothly on this laptop ?

Thanks in advance.
(07-25-2018, 08:07 AM)k23 Wrote: Hi everyone, I want to buy the new hp pavilion x360 with these specs:

CPU I7-8550u
RAM 12 GB
GPU Nvidia MX130 4GB

and i play PES 2012 (Pro Evolution soccer). Will it run smoothly on this laptop ?

Thanks in advance.

dunno if this specific game works fine under pcsx2.
that said, that CPU will rock for most emulated games, thus i'd say go for it.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Assuming that HP has done the cooling correctly on that laptop and it's power delivery can handle both the GPU and GPU under load then it should run smoothly. Basically if the CPU can work up to it's full potential then it should handle a lot of games in PCSX2 and only really jave issues with some of the most demanding titles (which PES is not).

If HP made this laptop like the one I had it will run smoothly for 20-30mins then horribly slowdown... sometimes crash, and finally melt itself. To be fair that was the last HP product I have bought and it was 8-9 years ago, so hopefully they have learned many lessons in that time frame.