Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
Hello. I'm wondering if my laptop will be able to run pcsx2 at decent speed. It should be able as I play do play black ops 3 and crysis smoothly and rarely lag. Ive never tested pcsx2 out on it and I'm just asking before I try to down!oad pcsx2. So it's a Dell laptop, I've had since 2016 of Christmas.

The specs are Intel i5_6300hq @ 2.30ghz ram 8gb and GeForce gtx 960m. Will it run okay or will have to try and buy a better laptop? Im only concerned about gta San andreas, kh 2 and mgs3. If it can at least run these three games then I'll be fine.

Sponsored links

(07-30-2018, 06:42 AM)RedTmachine Wrote: Hello. I'm wondering if my laptop will be able to run pcsx2 at decent speed. It should be able as I play do play black ops 3 and crysis smoothly and rarely lag. Ive never tested pcsx2 out on it and I'm just asking before I try to down!oad pcsx2. So it's a Dell laptop, I've had since 2016 of Christmas.

The specs are Intel i5_6300hq @ 2.30ghz ram 8gb and GeForce gtx 960m. Will it run okay or will have to try and buy a better laptop? Im only concerned about gta San andreas, kh 2 and mgs3. If it can at least run these three games then I'll be fine.

That CPU's STR is just at the minimum recommended so it should be able to handle less demanding PS2 games but will struggle with more demanding ones (Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Gran Turismo 4 just to name a few). Your GPU should be able to do 3x or 4x native, giving you 1080p resolution, but other graphics settings will probably need to stay off.

It's good that you can play PC games full speed, but they are not a direct comparison. Emulation is a lot less threadable than a native PC game, and relies more on how effectively a CPU can smash through one thread. Not to mention modern PC games just don't pressure the CPU as much.
(07-30-2018, 01:47 PM)pandubz Wrote: That CPU's STR is just at the minimum recommended so it should be able to handle less demanding PS2 games but will struggle with more demanding ones (Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Gran Turismo 4 just to name a few). Your GPU should be able to do 3x or 4x native, giving you 1080p resolution, but other graphics settings will probably need to stay off.

It's good that you can play PC games full speed, but they are not a direct comparison. Emulation is a lot less threadable than a native PC game, and relies more on how effectively a CPU can smash through one thread. Not to mention modern PC games just don't pressure the CPU as much.

Oh Ok I see. So my pc just barely meet the requirements to run pcsx2 smoothly. But I should be fine since it’s still good enough to run right? The games you mention that I’ll struggle with, I won’t be playing them anyway. What about mgs3, kh2, gta San Andreas, dmc3, gow2 and finally tm:Black? Those are the games I’ll be trying to play will I be fine with them? Especially kh2 and gta San Andreas if those games are too demanding then I might as well not get pcsx2.
(07-30-2018, 06:42 AM)RedTmachine Wrote: Hello. I'm wondering if my laptop will be able to run pcsx2 at decent speed. It should be able as I play do play black ops 3 and crysis smoothly and rarely lag. Ive never tested pcsx2 out on it and I'm just asking before I try to down!oad pcsx2. So it's a Dell laptop, I've had since 2016 of Christmas.

I had almost this same setup with an even newer i7 and 16gb ram same vid card.  More of a hassle and dissapointment than anything.   Even the games that did run, like someone was posting above, 20-30 mins then complete meltdown of all frames.  Was fun at first trying settings, never made a difference for any game with solid 3D action in the end.
(07-25-2018, 08:07 AM)k23 Wrote: Hi everyone, I want to buy the new hp pavilion x360 with these specs:

CPU I7-8550u
RAM 12 GB
GPU Nvidia MX130 4GB

and i play PES 2012 (Pro Evolution soccer). Will it run smoothly on this laptop ?

Thanks in advance.

I am a complete noob to all of this, so can you let me know if it works for you please?

All I want to do is buy a laptop which will run PCSX2 for games like Harry Potter COS, Tekken Tag and GTA.
If anyone can suggest a standard unmodified laptop that will work (price not important) then please let me know!

(Sorry for any rule breaking)
For a laptop the easiest way to roughly figure out if one you like will work is to find the CPU it has and search for it on
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

For demanding titles you really want over 2,000 for the rest we generally recomend 1,600 or so.  This will tell you what your CPU is capable of assuming it can run it's best.  If the manufacturer does not have good cooling or power delivery then even a great CPU will have issues.  There is no great rule or test for this besides research (using google) on what other owners of said product say about how it performs, or if your lucky a reputable site might have done stress testing for you (popular models only usually).

If you can get a discrete GPU then that is better.  If that GPU is an Nvidia then it will have even more compatibility with the OpenGL backend (which is the best current backend for PCSX2 with the least issues... besides software).

If you are goi2ng to say price is not an issue then I will list stupid things
Asus GX800vh it has a full desktop GPU (GTX 1080sli) and CPU ( overclocked 7820hk), water cooled, 18" screen.  It is also huge heavy and over $6,000 US.  If you give me a budget and a wishlist of what you need, what you want, and what would be nice but not important then I can recomend some more sane choices.  Though the Asus would rn PCSX2 very very well.
(08-02-2018, 10:12 PM)Nystic92 Wrote: I am a complete noob to all of this, so can you let me know if it works for you please?

All I want to do is buy a laptop which will run PCSX2 for games like Harry Potter COS, Tekken Tag and GTA.
If anyone can suggest a standard unmodified laptop that will work (price not important) then please let me know!

(Sorry for any rule breaking)

I ended up fixing my own pc which is

Intel i7-4770
RAM 16GB
Intel HD Graphics 4600

it can run the football games smoothly at 50fps with default settings, It can also run GTA San Andreas at default settings 50fps.

I think DELL 5577 i7 would be a very good choice if you don't want a very high end gaming laptop that can run these games smoothly at a decent quality.
Just upgraded my desktop to
Intel I7-8700k-5ghz
nvidia gtx 960
16gb ddr4 ram
Will I be able to run most games at 60fps now?
yes..
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
(08-04-2018, 09:54 PM)k23 Wrote: I ended up fixing my own pc which is

Intel i7-4770
RAM 16GB
Intel HD Graphics 4600

it can run the football games smoothly at 50fps with default settings, It can also run GTA San Andreas at default settings 50fps.

I think DELL 5577 i7 would be a very good choice if you don't want a very high end gaming laptop that can run these games smoothly at a decent quality.

What settings are you using to play football games. I have a laptop with I7 8550u processor, 16gb ram and integrated Intel hd 620 graphics but my Madden nfl 2k3 is super laggy