Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
(11-19-2018, 03:09 PM)scythefwd Wrote: The cpu will do pretty well.  It may not do everything.. but it'll play most.  ark.intel shows it as 2 cores, 4 threads.  You should be quite fine with that processor.  The video card.. that leaves some room for improvement.  I'd recommend getting a gtx 750 or gtx 750ti vs. that 1030.. They should be roughly the same price and will out perform the 1030 by 10-20 fps in most instances.. If you absolutely need current gen or last generation cards, I'd not recommend anything less than a 1050..

Thanks!

Talking about emulation only would I see much gain in getting something like a GTX 970 then? I can get them used for around the price of a new 1050.

Sponsored links

A 1050 ti (or really a 1060) would be a closer choice to the 970. If you can get a 970 for the price of the regular 1050 then the 970 would be then it is a much faster card. In purely PCSX2 emulation it might add the ability to go up to a higher internal resolution.... but really going much over 4x starts to quickly see diminishing returns for the extra GPU and CPU strain. For native PC gaming it will add a lot of extra performance unlock higher enhancement settings at playable framerates (probably max out a lot of games at 1080p though 1440 and 4k you will have to make sacrifices).
My tired old dual core laptop is almost over with it's life, and I've ordered a new gaming laptop from Australia.
(Dual core laptop specs)
RAM: 4GB
Graphics: Intel HD 400
CPU: Celeron N3060 1.6Ghz
Notes: Runs GT3 A-spec menus at 60 FPS, drops to 25-27 in menus with video animation, 15 viewing 3D models and about the same in gameplay.

With this new laptop I'd to run Gran Turismo 3 and 4 at 60 FPS, preferably at least at 2 or 3x native with 2/4x anisotropic filtering. Can anyone help?
CPU: i5-8400 2.8Ghz Hexacore
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060M 6GB
RAM:16GB
(11-19-2018, 08:19 PM)granturismofan41 Wrote: My tired old dual core laptop is almost over with it's life, and I've ordered a new gaming laptop from Australia.
(Dual core laptop specs)
RAM: 4GB
Graphics: Intel HD 400
CPU: Celeron N3060 1.6Ghz
Notes: Runs GT3 A-spec menus at 60 FPS, drops to 25-27 in menus with video animation, 15 viewing 3D models and about the same in gameplay.

With this new laptop I'd to run Gran Turismo 3 and 4 at 60 FPS, preferably at least at 2 or 3x native with 2/4x anisotropic filtering. Can anyone help?
CPU: i5-8400 2.8Ghz Hexacore
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060M 6GB
RAM:16GB

Should be more than fine to run this game at full speed
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
The only thing that might cause an issue is if the laptop has good enough cooling and power delivery to allow the 8400 to get to and maintain a proper boost clock on 1-3 cores (depends on what you are running in the background since PCSX2 should only really need 1 or 2 in hardware rendering mode).

Basically check reviews for that specific model paying attention to some of the stress tests and temps from them.
Desktop:
(Custom build, repurposed from backup appliance to workstation)
CPU: AMD FX-8370 8-core 4.0GHz
RAM: 32GB/4x8GB DDR3 1600 ECC
Graphics: NVidia GeForce GTX 760

Laptop:
ThinkPad W540
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710MQ Quad-Core (4 physical, 8 logical) 2.5GHz
RAM: 32GB/4x8GB DDR3-1333 Non-ECC
Graphics: NVidia Quadro K1100M

I dual-boot Win/Lin on both desktop and laptop and so if PCSX2 performs better on one or the other platform, I can configure it in that environment.  Yes, it's a ton of RAM.  Mostly used for running VMs, was also meant for deduplication tables on ZFS for the desktop.

I'm primarily interested in JRPGs (SMT, Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts, Final Fantasy) and horror games (Kuon, Haunting Ground, Fatal Frame) but the more I can play, the better.  I've tried hooking my hardware PS2 up to an LCD display with an HDMI adapter but the results are disappointing, so I figured that with all the RAM and CPU power I've got in my PCs I can give emulation a whirl instead.

Am I in a good position with this hardware?  Thanks!
the processor is a little on the light side . We usually recommend 1600 for stp in passmark for pcsx2.. kind of a minimum performance spec. The proc youre referencing scores a 1536.. a little on the light side. The video card on the other hand is a solid choice.
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
The STR for my i5 8400 is 2400ish, the cooling is fine with heat building up after around 2 hours or so
(11-19-2018, 07:02 PM)TkSilver Wrote: A 1050 ti (or really a 1060) would be a closer choice to the 970.  If you can get a 970 for the price of the regular 1050 then the 970 would be then it is a much faster card.  In purely PCSX2 emulation it might add the ability to go up to a higher internal resolution.... but really going much over 4x starts to quickly see diminishing returns for the extra GPU and CPU strain.  For native PC gaming it will add a lot of extra performance unlock higher enhancement settings at playable framerates (probably max out a lot of games at 1080p though 1440 and 4k you will have to make sacrifices).

Ok thanks. 

So would I right by saying a 750ti/950 would be enough for 4x, and 970 would be a bit of an overkill for emulation only?
Probably something a little stronger like a 1050\ti or a 960 would be more stable for 4x for a wider selection of games. This is not to say a 750ti or 950 can't do 4x on some games, just probably not quite most games(well the more demanding titles). So it depends on how much you really really want 4x on the games you play, how much you want to spend, and where for you you start to find that adding a few more games won't justify the price increase.

I just updated my emulation PC to a 750ti SC, but that was because I got it for a great price. So check things like craig's list and see if someone is doing an upgrade and selling their old cards for cheep... you might be suprised.