Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
(10-14-2018, 10:02 AM)Assortedwatchdog Wrote: Will Acer Nitro 5 run PCSX2

Specs:
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
RAM
8 GB SDRAM
Hard Drive
256 GB SSD
Graphics Coprocessor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

should be fine for most games.
demanding ones will still struggle, though
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go

Sponsored links

Jo mina-sama! This post has a point and question but the back story is kinda important...

So I got my rig and ended up with the following:
*. CPU: Pentium Gold 5400G
*. Memory: 2x 4GB DDR4-2666
*. GPU: AMD RX460 with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
*. Board: Biostar B360MHD Pro
*. Storage: WD 120GB SSD + 3TB HDD
*. PSU: 550W Corsair
*. Chasis: Phanteks Eclipse P300 (White)
*. OS: Debian 9.5 Stable

So far, tried RE4 and upscaled it x4 and it runs perfectly. It makes playing on a TV with a PS2 look like...ewww! compared to the HD glory! Then I decided to try Tekken 4 (pretty old) and it wouldn't run any better than on my laptop so I dropped to native resolution and still got f'kall, about 36FPS!!! So theeen, I tried Software Drawing and suddenly I'm just making 99-101% 59-60FPS. My CPU usage on all threads goes up to about 3/4 so I'm not maxing them out. Anywhow, can someone explain this bizarre behaviour to me and help me better it? I mean RE4 has massive maps, loads of enemies and objects, etc. From a coding perspective, it's more intensive so why does it run like a dream and Tekken 4 run like someone with a New Year's Day hangover? Are the Capcom coders just good at coding, or are the Namco ones just retarded? Also why the hell does Hardware Mode perform _worse_ than Software Mode for drawing in this game? Is it a driver bug or an OGL bug? Finally, why the massive, massive, _massive_ performance difference?

It's 01:30am my side and my eyes are burning looking for answers. The only thing I've found is the repeated phrase, "Tekken * is hard to emulate" which is as vague as "It probably might rain at some point tomorrow." So, any clues? Any info welcomed.
Ryzen 3600X || 8GB DDR4-2666 || GTX 1650 4GB || Debian 10 || PCSX 1.7 (App Image), 1.5 (Stable), 1.4 (EOL)
Linux - each game uses its own subset of the ps2 instruction set. Some require more processing power than others to implement in a virtual environment. The number of pixels on screen, how many of them change, etc.. all of that is done on CPU (where in normal games it would be done on gpu) and then pushed to the gpu to be polished up for display. Due to this.. some games require massively more powerful systems to emulate on pcsx2 than others. Tekken is one of those games.

I cant speak to the efficacy of the linux amd drivers and their OGL support.. but I can say that in windows, it's a 10-20% difference in performance vs. dx12. You may actually be getting hit with AMD's crap drivers and seeing a performance drop there as well. In the games I play, OGL is fine.. some of the hard to emulate games may not have the overhead to compensate for the slower performance of the video card.

If you are experiencing slowdowns, what are your vu and ee % looking like. VU and GS are usually video card bottlenecks, EE is generally cpu bottlenecks. 2200 stp is good, but there are folks on here breaking 2500 now.. and I suspect there are still games that dont emulate at full speed for them..
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
A Core i7 4790k would run most games in software mode?(Ace Combat 4, Gran Turismo 4, Ratchet and Clank series, Jak series,etc..)
A lot of games... yes. All games at full speed... no. Most games at full speed most of the time... probably not, but it depends on your definition of most. Off the top of my head AC4 should usually be ok, but some slowdowns in specific missions and R&C might have more general slowdowns.
What about this?

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: GTX 1050 OC
RAM: 16 GB DDR3

I'm mostly playing Kinetica, Jak and Daxter and Ratchet & Clank
The CPU should be generally fine for most games (there may be a handful that might need you to overclock for or might just not run at full or near full speed some of the time) and the GPU should allow for higher internal resolutions in most games (except some really demanding ones and some that just have issues above native resolutions).

Also how are you running DDR3 RAM on the AM4 platform... it should be DDR4 only.
Well I haven't built the PC yet. But okay, ill switch to DDR4.
The cpu will be fine.. it will perform pretty much on par with my threadripper , which I can say is equivilent to my 3770 in performance.. which plays most everything pretty well.. there are a few exceptions like Shadow Of the Colossus though.. It struggles with that.

Your suggested vid card is a very good card for pcsx2.

Ryzens are only ddr4.. as tk said
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
Hello, thinking about getting the below system used for cheap:

-i3 4160 @ 3.5GHZ (STR 2077)
-4GB RAM
-HD 5770 (thinking to upgrade to 1030gt DDR5)

Wanting to play the below games in my Ps2 collection at 4x resolution, whatever is close to 1080p.
-SSX Tricky and 3
-NBA Street Vol 2 & 3
-Burnout 3 and Dominator

Questions:
1. Would a 1030GT DDR5 be sufficient for 4x resolution? Read some old posts that SSX tricky/Burnout/NBA street are graphically intensive but that was few years back so not sure how they handle with newer cards. 

2. Would the i3 be enough? Would an i5-3470 with a lower STR (1915) be a better choice because of MTVU?

Thanks!