Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
(12-06-2018, 02:11 AM)ashrobb Wrote: Hi. I know I have a weak PC, but I only want to play one specific game, which is Resident Evil Code Veronica X. AFAIK, is not too demanding but I wonder if I'll be able to play it at least at a decently playable speed.

CPU Intel Celeron G1820 @2.7 Ghz (Haswell)
GPU Nvidia GeForce GT 430 1 GB
6 GB DDR3 RAM

Thank you

If you can find a copy of code veronica X being sold for Dreamcast (unless you already own it) then ReDream ( https://redream.io/ ) is substantially lighter to run.  There is a premium version but really only unlocks higher internal resolutions, which would not run great on your system anyways.  Also you do not need to dump a Dreamcast bios, it has an emulated one, but if you can it will make it slightly more compatible.

If you want playable speeds, then besides just using your PS2, this is going to be your best option.

Sponsored links

I was thinking of getting a mac mini 2018 version with Intel Core i5-8500B six-core CPU, running windows 10 via bootcamp. Passmark score is 2407 for the i5-8500 @ 3gHz I assume this one is higher as it runs faster. Graphics in Intel UHD 630.

This should be adequate to run pcxs2. Is the graphics card adequate to boost resolution to 1440 or higher (4k) if i want to run this on my tv?
(12-13-2018, 03:02 PM)dougzer0 Wrote: I was thinking of getting a mac mini 2018 version with Intel Core i5-8500B six-core CPU, running windows 10 via bootcamp. Passmark score is 2407 for the i5-8500 @ 3gHz I assume this one is higher as it runs faster. Graphics in Intel UHD 630.
not a good asumption.
have a look at the i5-8500T, it's slower (but still quite good for pcsx2 anyways)
Dunno what an i5-8500B could be since it's a mobile CPU, and made ty fit in a Mac mini, it could be even slower.
Quote:This should be adequate to run pcxs2. Is the graphics card adequate to boost resolution to 1440 or higher (4k) if i want to run this on my tv?
depends on the games you own.
but it could be a problem at high resolutions.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Thanks for the info.
The biggest issue with low power\mobile CPUs is whether or not the CPU can sustain performance or if it is only set up for burst performance. Burst performance is great for a lot of standard PC tasks, but is bad for gaming and emulation in particular. So a passmark score of 2042 (the 8500t) is great but even for the t variant the issue comes down to if the device is setup to allow it to continuously maintain that performance under the stress of high loads.
Warning: Incumbent rambling before getting to the point...

It's been a while since I posted. Last I posted, I just couldn't figure _why_ the following regarding Tekken 4 & 5:
1) Getting poor performance (Pentium DC 5400 (2195 STR) + 2GB RX460 -- at the time of writing this) when people with lower STRs were playing okay.
2) Why _software_ rendering was anihilitaing (by 2x-3x speed) hardware rendering. Not that software drawing gave me full performance.
Neither could anypony else. Everyone said basically "Tekken is just one of those games that's buggy."

Well, I'm happy to report: I figured it all out.

PLEASE CAN AN ADMIN ADD THE SUMMARISED VERSION (za TL;DR bit) OF THIS INFO TO THE OP AS WELL AS TEKKEN 4/5 FIXES, IT IS VITAL, at least on OpenGL & Linux:

*. I tried updating to latest stable drivers for 460...no.
*. I tried a few speed hacks...no.
*. Then I tried disabling "Full Depth Emulation"....yes!

So why is this? Well, basically because your GPU _does_ matter! Mine at the time is an RX460 (not a bad entry-level and I got a ~132USD card for ~86USD (converted from ZAR at 16:1) ). Okay, so why was it choking? Well, I don't know if it's the graphic libs PCSX2 uses (I assume you're not writing in straight OpenGL since you're supporting DX too) _or_ AMD's driver stuff up. Last AMD update _did_ improve my FPS in hardware mode, but not enough. Tekken should be less taxing than RE4. Buuuut, I forgot that although the map size and number of objects is less, there's more detail (such as dresses, unique objects (unlike RE4 where the badguys are mostly the same object) ). There are plenty effects, too.
Soooo... I seem to be stating the obvious. But, like in all good detective novels/plays, I've gathered you all in one room for a big reveal that's preceded by a lengthy monologue.
According to the plugin, enable Full Depth Emulation helps with blurring and depth-related effects (would've never guessed the latter). So when I disabled it, I expected a shtty experience, especially on Tekken 4 on the freezer stage. But I gave it a shot an boom, looked fine. Not quite as I recall, but good enough.
So why? What gives? My CPU use was at minimal on all 4 threads (and my temperature was low).

You'll find the answer in _somebody's_ code: the plugin writer, the author of the library used by the plugin writer (assuming it's not straight OpenGL calls), or AMD as suggested before.
Anyhow, regardless, there's an unavoidable problem, it probably cannot be fixed through optimization. so you need more horsepower to overcome it.
Unlike focussing on high-end CPUs, I'd say a _decent_ single-thread performance CPU (>=2000) coupled with a better video card is best. I think that a Pentium 5600 would definitely do, but an i3-8350K should be 100% smooth. An aside: if you have a little extra to spare then i5-9600K wins hands-down as the most cost-effective chip because it's 25% more expensive but gives you 50% more cores/threads (6/6) along with an insanely-high STR to make it a great general gaming or workhorse CPU. That said, I use a Pentium 5400 and my CPU use on all four threads has yet to hit even close to 40% with PCSX2 running.
My video card = "Powercolor Red-Dragon: AMD RX460 chipset, 2GB DDR5 memory, very quiet and _no_ extra power needed (as in purely PCIE powered - ironic on a 550watt PSU)". I believe the last part is actually a problem: PCIE powered (and maybe having pretty cheap-looking cooling). Rethinking it, I'd recommend a newer card, say RX580, and one that's PSU-powered. At build time, my budget was limited and I was lucky to get what I did. I'd be stuck with an AMD Ryzen and iGPU otherwise (and no, AMD Ryzen is not great unless all you want is a budget gaming/media). Ryzens have a great upgrade path to mid-range, but you'll hit a plateau better spent on a cheap intel CPU and entry-level video card which you can gradually upgrade (my next focus is now an i5-9600K because it's worth so much more than the i3-8350 now that the 8350 is no longer on special at my supplier). Ryzen solutions are more cores at cheaper cost than Team Blue, but for PCSX2, we know that's no good. I have seen RE4 played on a Ryzen, but not Tekken 4/5/TT. I'm much happier with what the end result of my chosen path will be.

[ TL;DR ]
PCSX2 will run great on just about any Coffee Lake chip with a decent STR, even a Pentium. On the other hand, you need a better graphics card than an old RX460. I'd say RX580 or more to satisfy hardware rendering. This is contrary to the advice in the OP, but heed it if you use Linux & OpenGL.
You can __forget the graphics card altogether__ if you grab an i9-9600k and rely on software mode. You may even get away with this using the aforementioned i5-9600K (nearly half the price).
One last note: putting your ISO rips on an SSD probably will _not_ help (I haven't don't enough benching but so far tests support my next statement) because the PS2's read speed is nowhere near the speed of an old 5400RPM HDD.

Hope this helps clarify. I spent a lot of time on this research and benching.

PS: The snow effect is cute, but for a moment I thought it was something on my monitor, lol.
Ryzen 3600X || 8GB DDR4-2666 || GTX 1650 4GB || Debian 10 || PCSX 1.7 (App Image), 1.5 (Stable), 1.4 (EOL)
Ok, so here's my case. I managed to get this monster ---> https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GV62-7RD/Specification

I really would like to record few games from PCSX2, but for this case they need to run almost perfect. Before I get to trial/error on the newest nightly, how well games like WRC series, Ratchet & Clank series, Burnout games should run on this beauty.

So far I managed to test few games and Ratchet & Clank is stuck on 75% of speed (tried speedhacks but on -2 cyclerate the game is FAR FROM SMOOTH. WRC Rally Evolved also feels choppy and runs better with 120% of its framerate. Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec for example can slow down in some places.

How can I get this emulator to a stable performance on this machine? Windows 10 here.
(01-22-2019, 09:19 PM)Yohokaru Wrote: Ok, so here's my case. I managed to get this monster ---> https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GV62-7RD/Specification

I really would like to record few games from PCSX2, but for this case they need to run almost perfect. Before I get to trial/error on the newest nightly, how well games like WRC series, Ratchet & Clank series, Burnout games should run on this beauty.

So far I managed to test few games and Ratchet & Clank is stuck on 75% of speed (tried speedhacks but on -2 cyclerate the game is FAR FROM SMOOTH. WRC Rally Evolved also feels choppy and runs better with 120% of its framerate. Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec for example can slow down in some places.

How can I get this emulator to a stable performance on this machine? Windows 10 here.

which cpu ?
i5-7300HQ
(01-22-2019, 11:20 PM)Yohokaru Wrote: i5-7300HQ

Not bad for a game like R&C, but probably not enough to keep 100% speed all the time.
I suggest you open your own thread to get specific help.