Strange Idea
Hey Folks, bet that this was asked several times, but I just want to be sure, that it is asked by me ^^

While trying to fix MGS3 on my PC I came across VMWare, which I am using to emulate Ubuntu.... I played with the Idea to give the PCSX2 a new Vision by asking every programmer here.... Why not make a OS that emulates Emotion Engine and Processor of PS2? Would that be realisable? Just to see how my Idea would work:

Using the standard Processor and graphics card of the PC but give the PS2 features within PCSX2 the ability to use them in the way the PS2 would, resulting in a real OS without bandit software preventing Games to run at top speed ontop of Windows or Mac, trying to highly improve power of emulation by direct usage of PC components, just as it is done by a real PS2 which consists of a "homebrew DOS" (yeah, maybe wrong title ^^), graphics and CPU components and a cooler.

So why not invent the "PC PS2" ? Or would that be a drastic way of piracy? Or is it just to difficult? Maybe I am just a lunatic by saying this, but it would rarely be a bad way if I think it through. I must say, that I am no crack at programming and just mastered HTML and POVRay, but hey, I am dreaming and this is the spirit of programming ^^

Sponsored links

It simply doesn`t work that way. :-)
PS2 has it`s own architecture which cannot be "programmed" into another.
Shibuhya Wrote:While trying to fix MGS3 on my PC I came across VMWare, which I am using to emulate Ubuntu.... I played with the Idea to give the PCSX2 a new Vision by asking every programmer here.... Why not make a OS that emulates Emotion Engine and Processor of PS2? Would that be realisable? Just to see how my Idea would work:

]You're assuming your PC and the PS2 hardware are in any way shape or form similar. They are not, and therein lies the problem. VMware only works as well as it does because you're running x86 code on an x86 machine. PS2 is not x86, so you can't compare the performances.

There's no easy way to put this without devolving into a lesson in computer architectures, so just live with the answer "it isn't nearly as simple as you think it is" lol.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
http://forums.ngemu.com/emulation-news-s...on-os.html
Isn't it easier to just rename the .iso file to .exe and tatam!! Tongue
[Image: fs.png]
Q9550 @ 3,33GHz Ninja
HD 3850
(05-08-2010, 08:27 PM)echosierra Wrote:
Shibuhya Wrote:While trying to fix MGS3 on my PC I came across VMWare, which I am using to emulate Ubuntu.... I played with the Idea to give the PCSX2 a new Vision by asking every programmer here.... Why not make a OS that emulates Emotion Engine and Processor of PS2? Would that be realisable? Just to see how my Idea would work:

]You're assuming your PC and the PS2 hardware are in any way shape or form similar. They are not, and therein lies the problem. VMware only works as well as it does because you're running x86 code on an x86 machine. PS2 is not x86, so you can't compare the performances.

There's no easy way to put this without devolving into a lesson in computer architectures, so just live with the answer "it isn't nearly as simple as you think it is" lol.

tehe, I know that ;-) but my idea builds its lead upon the fact that there should be a real OS working like the PS2, taking processor and GPU just as they are with own drivers written for each signed user to work with them just as the PS2 works with Sonys Hardware, like taking an engine back to another car, so that there is no emulation on windows but a real install of an OS besides Winows or Linux and Mac. I thought of it as building a PS2 with different components resulting in programming on PS2 BIOS architecture using hardware components found in Desktops or Laptops. I know that an normal architecture based on x86 is only capable of emulating Systems ^^
Do you understand that the PS2 computer system is a bunch of specialized processors, connected by a DMA controller?
Games use this hardware in a specific way, a way that would not make any sense on anything else than a PS2.

This can not be "fixed" by running a somewhat customized OS on a PC.
The only way for games to work is when they find all the hardware of the PS2, and when that hardware behaves as they expect.
And that is what PCSX2 does.
I understand whats the problem, but did not ever anyone had thoughts about it? Why would an emulation make more sense then? it makes the systems hardware act like ps2 hardware (good or bad, thats another question...) so why not code something using the hardware directly and make it run like that, so no other process could ruin that fact PCSX2 is causing? Thats what I dont understand, that the hardware ist mostly different is no question for me, but making the games "believe" that there is a PS2 must be more difficult than making the hardware "believe" it is a PS2 Mellow
You can not make your x86 processor run PS2 (MIPS) code.
There is no GS on your graphic card to send display lists to.
No IPU for decoding videos, nor a R3000 system co-processor to handle your DVD requests.

So you say we can "code" all that.
You know what, we do exactly that. And call it PCSX2 Tongue2
Ok, here's an idea. OS for emulating games isn't nearly as easy as you think. It's entire new OS! BUT you can do something different. Take a computer that you'll be using for PS2 games and PS2 games only. Format everything and install brand new clean Windows XP or some Linux. Than disable everything you don't need for the emulation. Disable the internet connections, visual improvements, all other kind of software. Leave just really naked OS and the PCSx2. Configure the emulator and run a game. That's what you can do.
Writing a new OS from scratch is really a lot harder than you think. That isn't like programming in some language, you need ones and zeros here. Asembler and stuff. Another thing are the drivers, resources management software, BIOS... it's just unspeakable... : ) If you really try what I suggested, please post some info on how the computer emulated some game before and after the undoable changes you would make to it.
All the best, LucasBoy
Tongue Skype: lucasboy_k // If you need me, just write to me, tell me who you are and I'll do what I can to help you Wink