Suikoden 3 optimal settings help!
Hey guys, recently wanted to play some old games and decided to load up suikoden 3. I been looking around the forums a lot and haven't been able to find a good config or settings for this game even though its been out for so long and pcsx2 has improved a lot. Does anyone here have the most optimal settings for this game that can run it at perfect 60 fps with no hiccups and no slow downs whatsoever?

I can run it at 60 fps max most of the time however I have a few problems.

The first being that I have a lot of flicker/distortion when I'm moving around, it feels kind of clunky but it says I'm running at 60 FPS. I tried taking a screenshot however it won't show the problem.

The 2nd problem is during battle. I get HUGE slowdown when using some runes. I am only about 30 minutes into the game but I tried using Sgt Joe's breath of ice magic and I get a HUGEEEEEEE slowdown.

Does anyone else have these kind of problems? I want to believe I can run this game without any problems because someone posted on youtube with perfect graphics but he doesn't show his settings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qKhqHMQIEM)

Here are my computer specs:

560 TI
i5 2500k oc'd to 4.5ghz

I am running the basic recommended speedhacks + MTVU. I am running a somewhat older version of pcsx2 but is there any newer versions I should look out for that improves suikoden 3 compabilitiy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This game really needs a solid config as its an amazing game.

Sponsored links

I have a similar rig to yours and I didn't notice any slowdowns. I was using 1.0 and all settings stock except for the MTVU hack. I was using DX 9 as well and 4x IR.

Try 1.0, It has helped my in a few of my games (Ar Tonelico, Legaia 2, etc). Also try a different video backend. Sometimes this does help. If all fails you may want to try software mode because your CPU is powerful enough to keep up.

Also if you do get it up and running, don't forget to update the compatibility list:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Suikoden-...t=suikoden
Intel Core i5-8600K @ 4.5 GHz
GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 Stock
ASRock Z370 Taichi LGA 1151 mobo
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400 DDR4 RAM
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe SSD
Indigo Xtreme Thermal Interface Material
Phanteks Enthoo Pro ES614P Black Steel Case
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR PSU
Windows 10 64-bit
(11-27-2012, 05:08 PM)jlwmanagement Wrote: I have a similar rig to yours and I didn't notice any slowdowns. I was using 1.0 and all settings stock except for the MTVU hack. I was using DX 9 as well and 4x IR.

Try 1.0, It has helped my in a few of my games (Ar Tonelico, Legaia 2, etc). Also try a different video backend. Sometimes this does help. If all fails you may want to try software mode because your CPU is powerful enough to keep up.

Also if you do get it up and running, don't forget to update the compatibility list:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Suikoden-...t=suikoden

Comparing between 2 different games for PS2 is the same as comparing two different games for PC. One game may run easily on the machine (or the emulator in the first case) while the other will tax it too much.

You did not state what's your emulator's version, if it is below 1.0 then it is old indeed.

Now, since you have a good mainstream GPU, maybe the cause of problems is too much upscale, try toning it down if is the case it is 4x or above.

About the flickering, does it happen in the whole screen or objects?
Imagination is where we are truly real
Don't know about the battle problem, but maybe having the Edge Anti-Aliasing option checked might help for the screen flickering? Might be worth a shot.
(11-27-2012, 10:59 PM)xenoriddley Wrote: Don't know about the battle problem, but maybe having the Edge Anti-Aliasing option checked might help for the screen flickering? Might be worth a shot.

More probably AA would cause problems, the problem in the battles is recurrent in games using a lot of effects from the magic, they can easily put the FPS down in some cases, and do not depend only on the GPU but the CPU as well.

So the advice to try and tone down the internal resolution. Speedhacks may harm more than help in that case, so I did not advise any (and for what he reported he doesn't have FPS issues outside the battles).

Other than this, that game uses a camera method that is horrible and the left+up gamepad control fails sometimes when pushed to the limit. But I didn't notice flickering as far as I remember from when played it.

PS: just occurred to me that what is being called flickering is lack of deinterlace. try pressing F5 and see if it resolves that issue... F5 cycles between several methods... one that works well in most games is Blend bff which can be set at the GSdx config or left in "Auto" in the newer PCSX2 versions.
Hey thanks for the replies guys!

I am indeed not using 1.0, I will have to try it. The flickerring problem happens to my whole screen. I have tried everything but I might be using to high a resolution. I tried using the deinterlace thing and it just made everything much worse.

I'm going to try using a newer version of pcsx2!
(11-28-2012, 01:08 AM)immortalz Wrote: Hey thanks for the replies guys!

I am indeed not using 1.0, I will have to try it. The flickerring problem happens to my whole screen. I have tried everything but I might be using to high a resolution. I tried using the deinterlace thing and it just made everything much worse.

I'm going to try using a newer version of pcsx2!

The deinterlace is almost obligatory in that game, it is not an emulator's problem, console games are designed to play on TV under TV standard like NTSC or PAL and for that reason most of them use interlace.

To try and correct the screen "shaking" among other related issues when played in computer's monitor the deinterlace is needed to reduce the problem. There are 6 methods you must atempt.

The F5 cycles from "none" which will make your screen to shake a lot and 3 batches of a same tech using tff or bff. One of them will please you more... or annoy less.
Ok, the battle problem I kind of fixed by using some speedhacks and lowering the resolution. However the flickering problem I have now is really annoying me! I tried different games and it seems like it's not the game but the emulator itself. I'm going to try reinstall the game and see if it helps, any more help would be greatly appreciated.
Alright, found the problem. It was because of the MTVU hack. It caused this flickering across the screen. I have to leave it on though or else I won't get constant 60 FPS in big cities. I guess that is just how it is! The game runs perfectly fine as it stands now, I have minor slowdowns in some very very big spells but I don't see it much of a problem. The game looks freaking amazing with the scaling turned up! I advise everyone to play it, has to be one of the best rpgs of all time. Needs more recognition.
Oh, I see, thanks for the information. In the case of the Bulldozer CPU that hack actually worsen the performance due to the way the CPU manages the cores load on the same module, so I never use it. It's said to help in many games for Intel CPUs and possibly the Phenom II as well. Yet as any other speedhack it may backfire in certain games.

This time I feel I was helped more than helped Smile and you making your part in solving the issue and, more yet caring to share the finding, earned you a kudos.

PS: This is what makes the difference between a newbie and a n00b. The newbie learns and share and soon enough is newbie no more. The n00b... well, that is a constant.