Suikoden 5 Settings? (help!)
I'm trying to play Suikoden 5 (using the DVD not an IMG) on pcsx2 0.9.8 and I run into the problem that during all the cut scenes the framerate drops to about 45 (causing a noticeable slowdown in voices and sound, which has the funny side effect of making everyone sound retarded), and right as a battle starts I get a huge slow down, but aside from that the game runs at 60 fps nearly all the time.

Here are my specs:
CPU: Core2 Quad 2.83GHz
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 260 Core 216
Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM

I've tried messing around with the plugin settings a lot, and tried both GSDX and ZZogl (both have the same problem). What really baffles me though is that there are videos on youtube of people playing the game with no slowdown at all (and claim to be using default emulator settings), and their system specs are worse than mine. My rig should have more than enough power to run everything smoothly but it's not.

Can anyone tell me either how to fix this, or provide me with a recommended configuration? Thanks!

Sponsored links

Try pressing F9 when the cutscene starts to switch to software mode, then press it again afterwards to go back to hardware mode.
-Make an ISO of your game.
-try latest pcsx2 beta with mtvu hack since you have more than 2 cores : http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
-don't trust youtube videos.
Frames are played @ full speed, but it doesnt' mean people didn't get any lag while recording it.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(09-09-2011, 07:06 AM)Apokk Wrote: I'm trying to play Suikoden 5 (using the DVD not an IMG) on pcsx2 0.9.8 and I run into the problem that during all the cut scenes the framerate drops to about 45 (causing a noticeable slowdown in voices and sound, which has the funny side effect of making everyone sound retarded), and right as a battle starts I get a huge slow down, but aside from that the game runs at 60 fps nearly all the time.

Here are my specs:
CPU: Core2 Quad 2.83GHz
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 260 Core 216
Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM

I've tried messing around with the plugin settings a lot, and tried both GSDX and ZZogl (both have the same problem). What really baffles me though is that there are videos on youtube of people playing the game with no slowdown at all (and claim to be using default emulator settings), and their system specs are worse than mine. My rig should have more than enough power to run everything smoothly but it's not.

Can anyone tell me either how to fix this, or provide me with a recommended configuration? Thanks!

plz dont, thats ur problem, try making the iso.
I tried switching from hardware to software and it didn't have much of an improvement (maybe about 5 fps difference).

I'm making an ISO of my dvd now and I'm going to try that.

How do I install the MTVU hack? Is it the same as MicroVU in the 0.9.8 options? Or do i need to be using the 0.9.7 beta from the pcsx2 website?

Thanks again, this help is really appreciated.
*update*

After making an ISO I'm now getting a solid 58-59 FPS where I used to get 35-45 (yes!). I still am curious about MTVU and how I can better utilize my cores though.
I'm interested too since I have a quad core. I wasn't aware my CPU wasn't being fully utilised.
MTVU give boost FPS for Suikoden series (Suikoden III and V, i already test with that option with dual core cpu)
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
(09-09-2011, 07:12 AM)jesalvein Wrote: -try latest pcsx2 beta with mtvu hack since you have more than 2 cores : http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

I tried using that but, while the game seems to be working, I got these error messages:

Quote:Path: D:\Program Files\PCSX2 0.9.8\pcsx2-4915-windows-x86\pcsx2-4915-windows-x86\plugins\GSdx32-AVX-r4915.dll
File is not a valid dynamic library.
Some kinda plugin failure: D:\Program Files\PCSX2 0.9.8\pcsx2-4915-windows-x86\pcsx2-4915-windows-x86\plugins\GSdx32-AVX-r4915.dll
Path: D:\Program Files\PCSX2 0.9.8\pcsx2-4915-windows-x86\pcsx2-4915-windows-x86\plugins\GSdx32-AVX.dll
Some kinda plugin failure: D:\Program Files\PCSX2 0.9.8\pcsx2-4915-windows-x86\pcsx2-4915-windows-x86\plugins\GSdx32-AVX.dll
Path: D:\Program Files\PCSX2 0.9.8\pcsx2-4915-windows-x86\pcsx2-4915-windows-x86\plugins\ZZOgl-r4832.dll
Some kinda plugin failure: D:\Program Files\PCSX2 0.9.8\pcsx2-4915-windows-x86\pcsx2-4915-windows-x86\plugins\ZZOgl-r4832.dll
Path: D:\Program Files\PCSX2 0.9.8\pcsx2-4915-windows-x86\pcsx2-4915-windows-x86\plugins\ZZOgl.dll
Some kinda plugin failure: D:\Program Files\PCSX2 0.9.8\pcsx2-4915-windows-x86\pcsx2-4915-windows-x86\plugins\ZZOgl.dll

AVX is only for Sandy Bridge and future Ivy Bridge and Bulldozer, that's not really an error you should care about. You'll probably also never really need to use ZZOgl either on windows, soo you shouldn't bother about it either.
MTVU on the other hand is a speedhack you need to manually turn on/off, in case you just tried running without changing anything.