Suikoden V (white lines upscaling issue)
Any news regarding this old issue? we are well aware that the white lines in the text box is a upscaling issue. I've tried every option in the latest revision of PCSX2 to no avail, the white lines are visible if you upscale the graphic.

This issue is pretty old, I'm surprised that no good solution has been found so far, I would appreciate if any developer provide any info about this issue. Thanks.
[CPU]: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz
[GPU]: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5
[PSU]: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 1000W (80 Plus Gold)
[RAM]: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
[MOBO]: MSI Z97-GAMING 5
[PC CASE]: ENERMAX Ostrog GT (Red)
[CPU FAN]: Cooler Master: Hyper 212 EVO

Sponsored links

So you tried Sprite hardware hack set to Half and Full, and tried to same for Round Sprite?
(03-06-2018, 01:18 PM)FlatOut Wrote: So you tried Sprite hardware hack set to Half and Full, and tried to same for Round Sprite?

Yeah, like I said, I tried all the options.
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Textbox-...#pid284905
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5
(03-06-2018, 03:15 PM)xZabuzax Wrote: Yeah, like I said, I tried all the options.
Can you make a multiframe GS dump of the issue (hold CTRL + SHIFT + F8 for about a second while the issue is visible)? https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-How-to-c...er-GS-dump
(03-06-2018, 03:19 PM)lightningterror Wrote: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Textbox-...#pid284905

I tried all those already before creating this thread and that didn't fixed the issue for me, the setting that worked best for me was:

TC Offset X: 80
TC Offset Y: 300

That setting alleviated the issue but the white lines were still visible.

(03-06-2018, 03:53 PM)FlatOut Wrote: Can you make a multiframe GS dump of the issue (hold CTRL + SHIFT + F8 for about a second while the issue is visible)? https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-How-to-c...er-GS-dump

Sure dude, here are the GS Dumps of this issue:

https://mega.nz/#!VZxFnCoQ!vljLNx1afyAFI...IO8jjGzNlQ
Thanks for the dumps. I've managed to find a "fix", setting Texture Filtering to "Nearest" and TC Offset X&Y to around 50 removes the lines. Though this is far from ideal as most textures will now be very blocky.

Despite this being an upscaling issue I also noticed the issue affect the software renderer. A black line appears near the bottom just above the button.
(03-07-2018, 02:48 PM)FlatOut Wrote: Thanks for the dumps. I've managed to find a "fix", setting Texture Filtering to "Nearest" and TC Offset X&Y to around 50 removes the lines. Though this is far from ideal as most textures will now be very blocky.

Despite this being an upscaling issue I also noticed the issue affect the software renderer. A black line appears near the bottom just above the button.

Now that you mentioned it I'm also noticing the black lines in software renderer. That fix you provided is far from ideal for me because I don't want to see the textures blocky, not to mention that fix didn't worked for me, the white lines were still visible, however, it did worked for software renderer though, with your fix the black lines were not visible anymore.

The solution that worked best for me was TC Offset X: 80, TC Offset Y: 300 with Bilinear (Forced exluding sprite), the white lines are not that visible with it. I don't know if this setting will cause graphic issues later on, I'm not playing this game yet, I'm just beta testing the beginning of this game a bit with the latest PCSX2 revision.

I wish there would be a better solution for this issue, this is a pretty awesome and underrated RPG that a lot of peoples don't even know about, this game deserves some attention to see if the developers can find a better solution. (I'm not demanding anything, I appreciate all the efforts the developers have put in this emulator so far.)
I put fix in between quotes for a reason. Wink

The required TC Offset values can depend on the resolution you use. I tested it at lower native resolutions. I just checked higher native resolution and it seems X&Y: 400 will make it work with Nearest.

It's not meant as solution, as it clearly far from ideal. Many games suffer from these minor upscaling issues because PS2 games were not meant for upscaling. A real solution can be hard to find. It might depend on some value in the code which is ever so slightly off, but changing it to fix this game could break another. Wink
(03-07-2018, 11:05 PM)FlatOut Wrote: Many games suffer from these minor upscaling issues because PS2 games were not meant for upscaling. A real solution can be hard to find. It might depend on some value in the code which is ever so slightly off, but changing it to fix this game could break another. Wink

Yeah, there's a couple of games that also suffers from this upscaling issue like Dragon Quest VIII (one of the best RPG ever) but those games have solutions by meddling with the Round Sprite option, other's are fixed by a different option, etc... but Suikoden V is one of the few that doesn't have a real solution yet as far as I know, if changing some code values to fix this game means that another game will stop working then yep, that would be a problem.