Support/Info
Ok, so I'm in the process of building a new computer, and I'd like a little information. Now, I already know that it will run the emu just fine, for the most part. The CPU that I'm getting is the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz.

Now, with my current CPU, for the GS plugin, I can only select "GSdx 5334 (MSVC 16.00, SSE2) 0.1.16 [gsdx32-sse2-r5350]"

But there's also the other two options, the SSE4, and the SSSE3.

What I want to know, is with this processor, which one would be the best plugin to use, and what is the difference between them?

Sponsored links

The Phenom II would only support SSE2.
Minimal differences between them, though.
My CPU is much like yours and it is very good at PCSX2.
AMD Phenom II X4 975 BE OC 4.0 GHz, Corsair Hydro H70
AMD Radeon HD 6990 OC, Accelero Twin Turbo
ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX
OCZ Revodrive 3 X2 240 Gb
16 Gb G.Skill 1833 MHz

23 PS2's
It will probably be an alright cpu, however a cpu supporting SSE4 (not 4.1) and SSSE3 (note 3 S's, confusing huh? Tongue) would bring a nice speed boost thanks to some optimizations using it.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(12-13-2012, 11:59 PM)refraction Wrote: It will probably be an alright cpu, however a cpu supporting SSE4 (not 4.1) and SSSE3 (note 3 S's, confusing huh? Tongue) would bring a nice speed boost thanks to some optimizations using it.

Well, here's the Motherboard I'm gonna be buying. If you can recommend a better CPU than the Phenom II x4, I'd gladly appreciate the input. The main reason I'm doing this is to record my games with FRAPS.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813128519
well for that price (of the processor), you won't get a better quad core, for the cheapest intel quads at the moment its about $189, though that will probably leave the phenom in the dust. So it really depends if you wanna stick to the current budget or squeeze a bit more out of it.

The Bulldozer does if not mistaken have one of Intel's later SS(S)E Instruction sets on them. and Xeno if you're planning on using Crossfire or SLI buy a motherboard with a 990x(a) chipset, cause the 970 chipset doesn't support SLI/Xfire.
The phenom will perform much better at per clock than the bulldozer.

an example from our pcsx2 cpu benchmark thread located here: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-CPU-Bench...d-on-FFX-2

Quote:63.24 FPS - SLUS 20672 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE - 4.3 GHz OC - Rezard
62.02 FPS - SLUS 20672 - AMD FX-8120 - 4.7 GHz OC (2 Modules, Turbo Boost OFF) - azerty16

and that's with the Phenom running 400mhz slower!

That said, id be curious to see what happens when you bring MTVU in to the equation if the bulldozers multithreading optimization takes it back in to the lead.