Sweet Spot. Native Res lack of artifacts. High Res goodness
Hello all,

I am new to pcsx2. I have been fiddling with the settings trying to find a sweet spot for my settings.

I got the latest build from here:
http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

I like the native resolution because it doesn't have those text artifacts. I don't like how horrid it looks. I used page up and it smoothed out the edges, but the text is now very blurry. I also set msaa=8 in the gsdx.ini file. It looks okay, but it adds artifacts to my text. (I also did AllowHacks=1 and set HW AA to 8. Again Artifacts)

Is there a way to have a higher resolution than native, without the text artifacts?

The game is Dragon Quest 8.

My setup is:
core i5 @4ghz
gtx-480
16gigs of ram

Thanks

Sponsored links

Supposedly there was a flag that enabled you to do higher res in software mode which apparently looks really nice and they are planning a rewrite of the texture catch to something similar but at the moment not really though the artifacts exist in varying degrees or not on a game by game basis.
(08-02-2011, 07:26 AM)dralor Wrote: Supposedly there was a flag that enabled you to do higher res in software mode which apparently looks really nice and they are planning a rewrite of the texture catch to something similar but at the moment not really though the artifacts exist in varying degrees or not on a game by game basis.

That's exciting. I would love to run a higher res in software mode! Do you know where the flag might be?
Nope it'd be really really slow but all I saw mention of it was one svn comment without further explaination. For all I know it could of been someones attempt at a joke.
There's currently no way to get higher quality rendering without those text artefacts in DQ8.
I don't think there'll ever be one, too.

Personally, I've settled with 3x scaling and ignoring the slight text artefacts.
(08-02-2011, 03:23 PM)rama Wrote: There's currently no way to get higher quality rendering without those text artefacts in DQ8.
I don't think there'll ever be one, too.

Personally, I've settled with 3x scaling and ignoring the slight text artefacts.

do you 3x scaling + any AA? Or just role 3x scaling? Also Which texture filtering option do you use? Empty box, full box, or check mark?
On some games not filtering 2D aka the box filled in helps a lot on text artifacts. Most notiably Wild Arms 3.
Texture filtering should always be in checked mark position. Anything else will cause undesirable results.
Anti Aliasing works badly in PS2 games. I never enable it.
The new FXAA present in SVN builds (page up key to activate) can add a nice smoothing to the stock x3 scaled image though.