System crash
I looked everything over, and I'm still stumped. >_<

I did research on D3D (not usually one of my knowledge bases), and found that D3D init/create functions will assert and fail if run outside a proper multithreaded context. Furthermore, that context is constructed entirely by Gsdx/ZeroGS after window creation (meaning that the order in which I call plugin load/init/open functions is irrelevant, since only Open actually does anything, and happens to do everything). Now in your case the window is being created and D3D is initialized fine. The freeze happens when the window is shown, and then the second freeze immediately after the window is shown. So apparently I was wrong, and the hard lock occurs during the Windows Message Loop for the Gsdx window, which means it has little or nothing to do with D3D itself.

Sum up: I'll revisit my Windows Message Loop changes in pg r488, and see if anything jumps out at me. Pcsx2's own message loop shouldn't affect Gsdx's but.. well.. who knows. :/
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team

Sponsored links

I'll humor you with one more build, which probably won't change anything. But ah well, I'm just totally baffled by what could cause your whole system to die like that in such a consistent and predictable manner.

Attached Files
.rar   pcsx2-dev-r562m.rar (Size: 655,59 KB / Downloads: 233)
why not also try a debug version of gsdx, (so that it give more info) Smile
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 OC to 3.6GHz, Intel GMA x4500, 1GB DDR2

NinjaMight just work on next guideNinja
The new build has changed the behaviour. Now, hitting ctrl - alt - del will sometimes push it back into life(though not as frequently as with say 513pg)

Do you think it's worth me rolling back to xp sp2, in case this is an OS issue specific to me?
SP3 is the devil but I think we would have more people with the issue if it was OS specific. Seems like he is slowly making progress on the issue though. Ahh the fun of strange bugs which only exhibit themselves in certain conditions that seem to be pretty specific to your config. I honestly would of wrote it off as an issue on your side long ago.

So it's pretty awesome that Jake is working so hard to fix it.
Check your ram with ram diagnosis program if that can eliminate an isu.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
I haven't run into a problem exactly like yours yet and I'm running XP SP3 Home (Not updated over SP2. SP3 was on the CD I had bought already if you know what I mean).

-Off Topic (I think)- PCSX2 has actually been crashing for me as well sometimes. But I think it's a different story (Might be that new experimental Speedhack option that's fairly-decently-smooth pretty much Tongue2). Though it doesn't completely crash my system, just one of the games itself freezes >.< -Off Topic-
Ivy Bridge 3770K @ 3.9GHz - MSI TwinFrozr GTX680 4GB...
...Nerpyderp.
Yeah, games freezing up sounds like the fault of the INTC speedhack. It's design has the potential to cause some games to enter infinite loops (kinda like how the IOP x2 hack can, as well). It's likely fixable without affecting the benefit of the hack, but none of my games specifically have problems with it, so I haven't fiddled with it further.

@fear: Well some progress is better than nothing. Lets me know I'm in the right area of the code, anyway. I'll dgo over the difss once more and see if I spot anything else.