System crash
Hi.

I've just tried the latest pcsx2 snapshot, and it locks my system up, requiring a restart. I find this a bit alarming, as it's normally indicative of HW problems.

Basically:

Pcsx2 Playground v1.0.0395 works fine, whether MTGS is on or not.

In Pcsx2 snapshot 528, I get a system lockup if MTGS is on(need to do a system restart), while if MTGS is off, it works fine.

It freezes my system at "MTGS Thread started > opening GS plugin"

System used:
WinXP SP3
E8400 @ 3.6ghz
4GB 800mhz ddr2 ram
Radeon 4850

Snapshot was run after deleting all ini files. iso's are from my own games which I have ripped, and worked fine in 1.0.0395, additionally I also tried loading from cdvdnull, to load from bios - this gives me the same lockups. Have tried various versions of gsdx, including ones which worked with 0.9.5 & 1.0.395, same problem.

Everything else I run (including dual core intensive games like supreme commander) run fine. I've very recently run a memtest86+ test which came out ok, and a Prime95 fpu intensive test, which I ran for 14 hours without incident(and then closed, never got any hardware errors).

So...does it look like a pscx2 problem(in which case I am NOT asking for help, I just want to make sure I don't have a hardware fault while it's still in warranty - if it is a pcsx2 problem, I'l shut up now and wait till the nextoffically supported version). Or does it look like a hardware fault?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored links

It seems like a nasty bug has crept in the betas,which none of the team can replicate.
Anyone else having PC freezing issues on game startup please post here,we need all the info we can get
[Image: newsig.jpg]
So you're thinking it is a bug?

If there's a repository of previous snapshots anywhere, I don't mind going through them and seeing which one introduces this problem. I imagine knowing when it happened would make it easier to find out what is causing it.
Yes this is a legit problem, although I haven't a clue what could have caused it yet. I'm pretty sure what's happening is your Direct3D drivers are killing your PC for some reason, since Direct3D is about the only thing in a Windows install that has the permission rights necessary to completely lock up Windows. I have run into problems in the past (years go) where DirectX being run from Windows Message handlers would break some drivers. But I'm not doing that in Pcsx2 in MTGS mode. It runs on its own thread, just like it always has. -_-
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Ah, I see. That's rather odd then. Like I said, if you have them, I don't mind testing older versions to see which revision brought in. Otherwise I can build them myself from the old playground svn, it'll just take....somewhat longer. ^_^
Nope, we don't have an svn build repository anywhere. Least not for builds since like 300 revisions ago, so probably not too much use.

But a hint: r514 has some MTGS changes. Start there, see if r513 and prior solve your problem. Smile
Hmmm, well that was interesting.

513 & 514 both exhibit the same behaviour, which is different from both v1.0.0395 and the current snapshot.

Basically, they hang and freeze my system when I click run cd/dvd, *but* if I hold down ctrl-alt-del for about 30 seconds, it resumes like nothing was wrong and loads the game as usual.

So I guess I now have two revisions to find - one earlier then 513 that causes things to hang, and one later then 514 that causes things to permenantly hang. ^_^
(02-19-2009, 09:24 PM)fear Wrote: Hmmm, well that was interesting.

513 & 514 both exhibit the same behaviour, which is different from both v1.0.0395 and the current snapshot.

Basically, they hang and freeze my system when I click run cd/dvd, *but* if I hold down ctrl-alt-del for about 30 seconds, it resumes like nothing was wrong and loads the game as usual.

So I guess I now have two revisions to find - one earlier then 513 that causes things to hang, and one later then 514 that causes things to permenantly hang. ^_^

just a thought, but could it be because your overclocking your system and its heating up to much? arent e8400's clocked at 3 ghz not 3.6? if it is overclocked try putting it down to 3.0 and try to replicate the bug.
Prime95 should have spotted it if that were the case. Also, the overclock was guarenteed by the company I bought the comp from, so I don't really want to mess with it until I know it's the cause, as I'd have to involve them if I wanted to keep my warranty.

Jake, I've found the point where it starts hanging (where holding down ctrl al del for 20 seconds will often snap things back to normal.) the hangs start at playground's r488. 487 works fine for games.

Strangely, cdvdnull still does not work in 487 - but this doesn't seem to be mtgs dependant, as it also crashed my system with mtgs unticked.

I'll do some more testing tomorrow evening. I've got a rather large headache at the moment. X_X
Have you tried ZeroGS? I know it sucks, but it could be helpful to me to know if this is something between how Pcsx2 and Gsdx communicate specifically, or if there's a general problem with Pcsx2's handling of the MTGS.