Tales of The Abyss graphical lag
I have an AMD FX-8320
GTX 970
16 GB of ram
On Windows 10 version 15002

with my pc specs I am pretty sure I should have no problems running this game super smooth, Yet I keep getting choppy frame rates, even if I turn all the enhancements off. Do you think the cause could be that I am using a Windows 10 insider preview build? If that's the problem, then does anyone have any suggestions to rectify the problem? Weather within windows, or within pcsx2.

Sponsored links

In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.

as a side note, keep in mind your CPU is a bit weak for pcsx2, and those lags are to be expected anyways.
Overclocking over 4.2 Ghz may help in you case
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(01-17-2017, 07:23 AM)jesalvein Wrote: In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.

as a side note, keep in mind your CPU is a bit weak for pcsx2, and those lags are to be expected anyways.
Overclocking over 4.2 Ghz may help in you case

how is it weak? isn't it one of the best that AMD has? aside from Zen, which has yet to release.
And everything is the default settings besides 8x internal resolution, so I turned it down, and it barely improved the slow fps, then I changed the internal resolution from 3840x2160 to 256x1440, and that did very little as well, so I put it to 1920x1080, which again made improvements, but not much. This does not make sense though, as I have been using pcsx2 version 1.4.0 for quite awhile to play tales of the abyss, and have had no problems up until now, so what happened? On top of that my pc plays games like Titanfall 2 at 2560x1440 and 3840x2160 with very little problems.
(01-17-2017, 08:54 AM)Ezekial52787 Wrote: how is it weak? isn't it one of the best that AMD has? aside from Zen, which has yet to release.
I didn't say it's weak generally, I said it's a bit weak for pcsx2
Pcsx2 relies a lot on CPU's STR and yours barely reaches 1400 where we do recommend at least 1600 for most games (some require over 2000)

Quote:And everything is the default settings besides 8x internal resolution, so I turned it down, and it barely improved the slow fps, then I changed the internal resolution from 3840x2160 to 256x1440, and that did very little as well, so I put it to 1920x1080, which again made improvements, but not much.
your GPU is good, and that's why upscaling will work quite well. in your case, the bottleneck is your CPU, not your GPU
Quote: This does not make sense though, as I have been using pcsx2 version 1.4.0 for quite awhile to play tales of the abyss, and have had no problems up until now, so what happened?
maybe you used speedhacks ? tried using the recommended ones + setting ee cycle rate to 1 ?
Quote:On top of that my pc plays games like Titanfall 2 at 2560x1440 and 3840x2160 with very little problems.
Never ever compare native pc gaming to emulation. it's a mere nonsense.

As I often say, the main difference is you run Titanfall 2 whereas you emulate Tales of the abyss.
(01-17-2017, 09:12 AM)jesalvein Wrote: I didn't say it's weak generally, I said it's a bit weak for pcsx2
Pcsx2 relies a lot on CPU's STR and yours barely reaches 1400 where we do recommend at least 1600 for most games (some require over 2000)

your GPU is good, and that's why upscaling will work quite well. in your case, the bottleneck is your CPU, not your GPU
maybe you used speedhacks ? tried using the recommended ones + setting ee cycle rate to 1 ?
Never ever compare native pc gaming to emulation. it's a mere nonsense.

As I often say, the main difference is you run Titanfall 2 whereas you emulate Tales of the abI tried 
I tried using some speeds hacks now as well, and they work temporarily, but after awhile it slows down again, so I enabled gaming mode on my cpu. It seems to have helped more than other things, but still some lag in more open areas in towns\ and in battle some. How do I put that ee thing to 1 by the way? and which speed hacks are the recommended ones?
(01-17-2017, 08:26 PM)Ezekial52787 Wrote: I tried using some speeds hacks now as well, and they work temporarily, but after awhile it slows down again, so I enabled gaming mode on my cpu.
"Gaming mode" ? what is that ?
Is this some kind of fake "booster" that closes unnecessary processes ?
or software overclocking ?
If so, that was my 1st advice :
jesalvein Wrote:Overclocking over 4.2 Ghz may help in you case
Quote:How do I put that ee thing to 1 by the way?
[Image: 1484689591-ee-crate.png]
Quote:and which speed hacks are the recommended ones?
probably the ones that do have the "[recommended]" flag ? Tongue2
[Image: 1484689584-recom.png]
You'll want to set EE Cyclerate to -1, not 1.

1 actually makes it more demanding for your rig to run things.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
(01-17-2017, 11:49 PM)jesalvein Wrote: "Gaming mode" ? what is that ?
Is this some kind of fake "booster" that closes unnecessary processes ?
or software overclocking ?
If so, that was my 1st advice :
probably the ones that do have the "[recommended]" 
neither suggestion worked. I'm probably just screwed by luck.