Tales of the Abyss unstable framerate
Hi,

First, I've already checked previous threads in order to find an answer (just a topic that mention the same problem without answer)...

In Tales of the Abyss I've got huge FPS drop on some cut scenes/villages : 60 to 10 FPS.
The issue appears only in some villages (ex : in Keterburg or in engeve)

Otherwise, the game runs great at 60 FPS the whole time (Fights,Map and the main part of the villages of the games).
I've turned all speedhacks on exept the 1.5x, 2x or 3x options (these options solw the game in general)

I use PCSX2 PG r528, and GDSX9 (Winxp) (SSE4.1) 0.1.14 on a E8400@3Ghz, 2Go pc8500 and a ATI HD4850.

I've tried, ZeroGS plugin :Fps are stable around 60fps whole time but I have artefacts (I've tried a lot configuration without success).
I also tried to configure pcsx2 and gdsx in differents ways but it keeps ending on the same issue whatever the configurations I use.

Thanks by advance ;-)

Sponsored links

(02-27-2009, 02:28 PM)kosmos999 Wrote: Hi,

First, I've already checked previous threads in order to find an answer (just a topic that mention the same problem without answer)...

In Tales of the Abyss I've got huge FPS drop on some cut scenes/villages : 60 to 10 FPS.
The issue appears only in some villages (ex : in Keterburg or in engeve)

Otherwise, the game runs great at 60 FPS the whole time (Fights,Map and the main part of the villages of the games).
I've turned all speedhacks on exept the 1.5x, 2x or 3x options (these options solw the game in general)

I use PCSX2 PG r528, and GDSX9 (Winxp) (SSE4.1) 0.1.14 on a E8400@3Ghz, 2Go pc8500 and a ATI HD4850.

I've tried, ZeroGS plugin :Fps are stable around 60fps whole time but I have artefacts (I've tried a lot configuration without success).
I also tried to configure pcsx2 and gdsx in differents ways but it keeps ending on the same issue whatever the configurations I use.

Thanks by advance ;-)

I have the same problem as well. My guess is that it is the way ZeroGS and GSDX are coded. Speed hacks doesn't really do anything. For GSDX, the slow down usually happens when there are a lot of models on the screen (i.e. Baticul, Grand Chokma, etc.). On the other hand, ZeroGS slows down when there are a lot of effects on the screen (i.e. Mystic Artes, Fonic Artes, etc.). Right now, the only way to get your full 60fps is to use DX10 (Vista) version of GSDX. Other than that, there's not much you can do other than wait for gabest to release a new GSDX that will hopefully fix that issue.
Edit: I am not sure about this until an nVidia card owner confirm this, but it could also be an ATi driver problem (I have an HD4800 as well). Again, I'm not really sure until someone with an nVidia card and running XP confirm this.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
I get 60-70 fps constantly. Specs in sig. My config:
Latest rev of the emu, any of the recent ones will work
Newest GSDX rev and SPU2-X rev
GSDX- DX10 Hardware, 1024x1024 res, 16:9, NLOOP Hack gray check, Texture Filtering black check
MTGS on, frame limiter 70 fps
INTC Hack on, 1.5x cycle rate, IOPx2 Hack on, WaitCycles Sync hack on
EE Recs/VU Recs (same settings)- Round Mode Chop/Zero, Clamp Mode None, FtZ and DaZ checked

Try using something close to that as possible that. Your problem may be that you lack Vista (meaning you lack DX10). If so, sorry but that can't be fixed unless you get Vista.
///Intel Q6600 @ 3.4GHz OC'd ~Xigmatek HDT-S1283 HS/F~Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB~Corsair 2x1GB 1066 DDR2RAM~Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit\\\
I'd rather say it's the ATI problem. See if software rendering is significantly faster in those areas. If so, then you know what's wrong Tongue2
Or probably Hd4xxx. Problem like someone got only 30fps in game FFXII in other thread. For me is No because i have Ati HD3870. Try program ATI Tool to set fix core clock reGadless autoclock switch between 2D and 3D running.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
Or if you dare to try (not recommanded for noob), get RBE program to open bios ATI, to set certain clock GPU and ram, include volt gpu and ram for 3/4 different state like i already did. Then flash bios moded to your grapich card.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
Try setting native internal resolution and see if it helps.

I find in tales of the abyss, using even 1280x960 internal resolution will cause my FPS to drop slightly to 45-50 during some spammy mystic artes so I use 1152x864 instead to get a solid 60fps.

This is on a HD4850 @ 800/2200mhz.
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400 C0 @ 4.1Ghz
Mobo: ASUS P5Q Pro (2048Mhz FSB)
RAM: 8GB PC2-8500 DDR2
Video: Radeon HD 4850 512MB @ 790/1990mhz
Sound: ASUS Xonar DX, Alessandro MS-1 headphones
@Elanzer
Tried that, it's not a matter of internal res. Even with native, there are spots in Abyss that causes the fps drop. The biggest drop happens in front of Grand Chokma castle. I also tried software with 2 threads (4 will drop fps to ~5, even with quad core). The result is 5-8 fps increase.

@Register
Regarding FFXII, I can play it just fine with stable fps. The only exception would be when Basch uses "Flame Purge". Both GSDX and ZeroGS drops to ~10 fps.

@rama
So, since software doesn't increase fps by that much (5-8 fps). Is it safe to conclude that it is a dx9 vs dx10 issue?Tongue
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
"...Is it safe to conclude that it is a dx9 vs dx10 issue?"

I think so.
I'll try it on vista later (I have to install it before) and I will keep you informed...
So, I've tried on vista and gsdx10 and it works great !

No more fps drop so it was a gsdx9 issue and not an ATI one.

I've also tried TotA on 0.9.6 but I cannot go to full screen no matter the fullscreen resolution I choose.

Does anyone got a clue ?