Tekken Tag EE 100% then fps go slow
Happy New Year!!
I'm sorry to feed back this question here, because I've spent nearly half a month on this question, and I don't have a clear result, but I probably know where the problem may be
First, my specs:
CPU:Ryzen5 4 Cores 8 Threads 3.8Ghz
RAM:16GB
GPU:GTX 1650
Game:Tekken Tag
Issue: some stages, such as low FPS, e.g. snow stage, ogre stage, etc
I found that once EE is close to 100% utilization, FPS will decrease
I went to pcsx2 GitHub to browse some discussions. This is a useful discussion about EE and fps
https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/1448
Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
Biggrin

Sponsored links

not a valid bug report, moved to general discussion.
EE 100%->high cpu usage->cpu struggling->fps decreasing.
it's not surprising, especially with tekken tag

that said, vu kickstart could be a thing to try
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Tekken Tag is notoriously slow and there isn't much we can do about it right now.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

OK, thank you for your reply. In recent days, we searched some Tekken tag test videos on YouTube. Even if the other party's CPU is i9, they may not be able to keep frames in the whole process
full edit:

i maked a video demoing on Tekken tag 1

based on my main rig hardware but it's slows on ogre stage and heavy snow stage the rest it's not a problem.
trust refraction that this game is one of the hardest game to emulate.

heavy snow stage:
https://youtu.be/s2FbLuucHKg
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
My i7 is almost 7 years old now and has always run TTT at full speed, even the 2 known harder stages using either PCSX2 1.5 or 1.6. I never understood the difficulty people had with this game, especially those with better cpus than mine. Something like an i9 should not even break a sweat. 

Here is some footage I recorded (yes, in real-time) with my 4790k when 1.6 released: https://youtu.be/rFivwxmxFOE?t=4538

I'm even using 21:9 WS patch and my CPU doesn't have any issues. If anything, it was my GPU that was getting hit hard at 5X resolution. No special settings, just MTVU enabled IIRC.
I played Tekken Tag on i7-870 4 GHz, i7-4720HQ, i7-5820K 4.3 GHz and i7-5960X 4.5 GHz.
I was able to get full speed at all the levels using PCSX2 up to 1.7.0 on the Haswell-E processors with no speedhacks.
On the i7-870 and i7-4720HQ I was able to get almost full speed with PCSX2 up to 1.5.0 with some speedhacks enabled, however with the 1.7.0 it was not possible to attain full speed with the old processors.
If you are running Zen or Zen+ aka (Ryzen 1000/2000 series) then you might not be able to get full speed in TTT using 1.7.0 afaik. However Zen2 and 3 are fully capable of playing TTT even without speedhacks with 1.7.0.
BTW what kind of Ryzen do you have?

This video was using i7 870 4 GHz and GTX 780 Ti.
https://youtu.be/Oj2Hg4-ps0M?t=338
[Image: c704da-4.png]
(01-01-2021, 06:52 PM)refraction Wrote: Tekken Tag is notoriously slow and there isn't much we can do about it right now.

Do you have any idea why the Ogre stage is so much more demanding than all the other stages? I wonder what causes it on an architectural level. The stage has really fancy lighting and even some bump map-esque shading going on with the cobblestone floor and walls, and it even looks like the lighting is real-time rather than baked. They did some crazy stuff with that game, especially as a launch title. I know the game apparently only uses one of the VUs or something as well?
I don't know about that stage specifically, no. But I do know the way the game was designed, we have to run everything on one thread, so advantages like MTVU cannot be taken advantage of.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(01-05-2021, 11:10 AM)NarooN Wrote: Do you have any idea why the Ogre stage is so much more demanding than all the other stages? I wonder what causes it on an architectural level. The stage has really fancy lighting and even some bump map-esque shading going on with the cobblestone floor and walls, and it even looks like the lighting is real-time rather than baked. They did some crazy stuff with that game, especially as a launch title. I know the game apparently only uses one of the VUs or something as well?

Yes! I have also noticed that in some stages, his ground effects are very expressive! For example, on a snowy stage, first there is a lot of falling snow, and secondly, there is a lot of snow on the ground, and it has a bump effect. At the same time, I also tested the PS3 version of Tekken Tag HD. In this version, the snowy stage has no such effect, the ground is barren, and the snow is very scarce.

Next is the Ogre stage. The effect of the floor tiles is very incredible, which is even close to the image performance of PS3!

You should have noticed at the same time that the EE of these two stages will almost be close to 100%, and then the FPS will decrease.

In the past few days, I found my friend to test Tekken Tag together. His CPU is i5 7400, his main frequency is only 3.0GHz, and mine is Ryzen5 3xxx with 3.7Ghz. In theory, my frame rate should be higher than his. But in fact it seems that his is slightly higher than me. But no matter how it is set, his FPS can't reach the full frame.