Poll: Should the forum try to promote using proper English?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
100.00%
1 100.00%
Total 1 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Textisms and the forum
Since I've been here I've noticed a lot of people don't spell things properly and have terrible grammar. I'm not perfect with my spelling/grammar by any means, but I'm good enough.

Some users here will just write in shorthand English (write as if they are texting someone). I'm aware that there are some people who do use their cellphones to visit the forum, but I really think the forum should have some type of standard for it.

Like if you can't capitalize the beginning of a sentence or spell out the most common words then maybe you should go back and learn some more. Again I'm aware I'm not the best at it either, and I know that some people here speak English as second langue.

Sponsored links

what deed you mint with bad gramar? Smile
Imagination is where we are truly real
(06-08-2013, 09:11 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: what deed you mint with bad gramar? Smile

You're fine.
(06-08-2013, 09:22 PM)Scootaloo Wrote: You're fine.

Nah, I'm not perfect, could score better with "what deed you mint with bed gramar?" and set up a world record for the number of errors in a small sentence Laugh

PS: The point is I'm aware my grammar and spelling is atrocious. English is so simple at same time is so "alien" with many words sounding alike but spelled and meaning totally different

Or, for example, sometimes I don't know if like is meant as (to) like or like in like this, not to talk about the "universals" Let and do
Imagination is where we are truly real
No, we are not the grammar police. Plus there are so many people who barely know english and have to use it just to seek help.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(06-08-2013, 09:32 PM)Bositman Wrote: No, we are not the grammar police. Plus there are so many people who barely know english and have to use it just to seek help.

I'm not asking anyone to police anything. I just think that the forum should encourage not police proper spelling/grammar. Don't you think there is a problem when people who know English natively can't even speak it (or type it) properly?
When I am on my primitive cell phone it is a real hassle to hit all the buttons to capitalize the first word of a sentence. However, I still try my hardest to show a full, reasonable thought, as reading txtspeak makes my eyes hurt (literally)!
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

We aren't expecting people to have perfect english, many users are either young or not natively english, deal with it, we do.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]