Texture Flickering - Any Solution?
Hi,

I am new to pcsx2 and have a small problem playing "Shadow Tower Abyss".

There is some kind of weird texture flickering:

http://youtu.be/oC3R15FhggI

It seems that it only appears in areas that are light by some bright lightsource. Can someone help me? I tried every possible graphics setting...

Thanks!

Sponsored links

In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
There's no fix for this kind of issues;p, well no other than running the game in software mode(press F9) which should actually fix it or eventually wating a lifetime for some future DX version and GSdx version that could support it. But that last part is rather theoretical, hence the choice between software and glitchy.
(06-01-2013, 12:23 PM)jesalvein Wrote: In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.

[1] Hardware specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K, 4x 3.40GHz,
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 480 AMP! Edition, 1.5GB GDDR5
Memory: 8 GB DDR3

[2] PCSX version: PCSX2 1.0.0.r5350

[3] all on default, exception: GSD10 on Direct3D11 (Hardware), resolution 6x native

[4] I want to play "Shadow Tower Abyss", the english fan translation.

Thank you for your help!

(06-01-2013, 12:46 PM)miseru99 Wrote: There's no fix for this kind of issues;p, well no other than running the game in software mode(press F9) which should actually fix it or eventually wating a lifetime for some future DX version and GSdx version that could support it. But that last part is rather theoretical, hence the choice between software and glitchy.

Running the game in software mode fixes the texture flickering issue. But the software mode looks ugly: very low res and everything seems "unfiltered".

Is there any way to make the software mode look better?
Or are there other graphics plugins that could solve the issue?
(06-01-2013, 12:46 PM)FLIR Wrote: Is there any way to make the software mode look better?
Or are there other graphics plugins that could solve the issue?

not really.
moreover, since you patched the game, it's hardly possible its CRC doesn't match with anything known.
Means this game will probably never be fully compatible as it "doesnt officially exist".

Does it work better if you play the game without applygin the translation patch ?
(06-01-2013, 12:52 PM)jesalvein Wrote: not really.
moreover, since you patched the game, it's hardly possible its CRC doesn't match with anything known.
Means this game will probably never be fully compatible as it "doesnt officially exist".

Does it work better if you play the game without applygin the translation patch ?

No, without applying the translation patch its the same.

Details: http://youtu.be/oC3R15FhggI

1. The flickering only occurs on areas that are light by some bright lightsource, all the other areas/textures are fine. It seems to have to do with the lighting/shading.

2. The flickering only occurs in mid/far distance, if I come near the flickering area it stops flickering

3. It seems that the polygons flicker black on top of the texture because of some lighting/shading glitch...
maybe give a try to latest SVN ...

BTW, the 2nd video you linked is the 1st one.
(06-01-2013, 01:17 PM)jesalvein Wrote: maybe give a try to latest SVN ...

BTW, the 2nd video you linked is the 1st one.

Hi, thanks, I just tried the lastest SVN, the problem stays the same.

Aren't there any possible "workarounds" other than the software mode?
apart from your own PS2, I don't think so.
(06-01-2013, 06:29 PM)jesalvein Wrote: apart from your own PS2, I don't think so.

Hmmm... you mean I can burn the patched game (fan translation of the japanese "Shadow Tower Abyss") on a dvd and play it on my PS2?